Sufferer from AIDS - Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome

Hi folks, My name is Colin Hay, retired Clergy and Navy Chaplain with long time interest in aviation. Started flying when I started work - first pay packet bought a 35mm camera, second one paid for my first flying lesson in a 172. Was an ATC cadet then joined the RNZAF back in 1962 as an Engine mechanic under training. Went Civvy as an aircraft tradesman and as a Fitter & Turner mainly making parts for GMC trucks. Gained ratings in 172, Auster, Tiger Moth, MS880B Rallye, Victa Airtourer, PA28 and PA32 plus flew Miles Gemini and a few other assorted aircraft which don't need a mention and after a long spell of some 26 years went flying again. Bought a Rans S6, have a couple of Bowers Fly Babies (now sold), played with a Loehle 5151 Mustang kit for a while, rebuilt a wooden 7/8 scale Nieuport 17 and flew a GY-20 Minicab. Now looking for something that I can get in and out of with ease and that offers some cross-country performance. Have a hangar at Oamaru which also doubles as a sort of museum, but a great man-cave to play in! Visitors and time-wasters to talk about aeroplanes are always welcome.

NZ seems to be a more user friendly place for aviation types than here. A Citabria 7 ECA was one of my favorites . Not real fast but 5 or more hours easily achieved and chuck about ability and running costs good.. Nev

Wow, that's history Collin. May I welcome you into our community. You've come across the one problem that affects all of us older flyers. Entry and egress of modern planes. Apart from being larger generally, the ability to fold ourselves, particularly our legs, gets harder with age. If you're still legal, something like the 172 fits the bill but you'll have the pay the increasing cost to fly one. I'm 6 ft tall and weigh 105 kilos. To see me getting in and our of my Thruster is a comedy act I don't want anyone to see.

Doug

Colin my wife and I just came back from the North island 2 weeks ago..,,on the way back she is already planning our next trip again to the south island. She wants to go towards the end of this year. That will be our 6th trip over the ditch 3 to the north and it will be 3 to the south then. We hadnt been over for 7 years the difference this time we are doing a lot more aviation stuff. Caught up with 4 other Savannah owners while there this time which was really great. We are planning part of the trip via Oamaru coming back from Mandeville and other aviation places Ashburton etc. Hopefully I can call in if you are around and we can be one of those time wasters too :)