Hi I'm new - what's do I need for a Sim with Oz airports/scenery?

flyingbrett

Hi, I already do some flying with a Garmin 1000 setup. I want to set up a flight simulator so that i can practise flying approaches to different airports in Australia.

I have used an old PC with Garmin 1000 sim - but I want a set up that has separate scenery. Given that it is 2018, what is the best computer(s), screen(s) setup for Australia. I am interested in getting a touchscreen for the avionics but I don't know whether it is worth the extra expense. Also, there appear to be varying opinions on software to use. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

flyingbrett

Hi Brett and welcome.

Sorry, real flying actually killed off my interest in flight sims. But when I was using them, I found Orbyx pretty good scenery for FSX, and a free download called Ants Airfields for most of the smaller airports and airfields around Australia. I used XPlane as well, most of the smaller airfields were already there. That's all I have in advice sorry.

Xplane 11 is pretty good for practicing instrument approaches. you need the Aussie pack and you will be spending time hunting scenery additions but pretty impressive. Some people go the whole hog and get all the gizmos.

Hi Frankus1aust, thanks for the advice re Xplane 11. I am interested in flying a Cirrus SR22 with a G1000 to practise instrument approaches. I am yet to find a decent Cirrus SR22 simulation. Any advice?

Thanks, Brett

Hi Frankus1aust, thanks for the advice re Xplane 11. I am interested in flying a Cirrus SR22 with a G1000 to practise instrument approaches. I am yet to find a decent Cirrus SR22 simulation. Any advice?Thanks, Brett

If you look on the Xplane site (You'll probably need to register) there is a forum and if you search there, you will probably find a free or payware aircraft. I think Xplane 11 comes with a Cirrus with the program. If you want to buy an Xplane compatible Cirrus, Here is an example of what is out there plus there are extra program additions you can get to improve it more.