Flight sim X and Imac

Ultralights

I have a new Imac computer, and i have been given flight sim X for Chrissy,

whats the best operating system to run fsx? the mac has a program called parallels that allows me to run windows XP on the mac, and i can also partition the hard drive to run Vista,

would FSX run at full capacity in XP via the virtual machine program (parallels)? ? as i don't really want to partition my drive and waste a huge amount of space just to run FSX, and all the associated crap that goes along with installing Vista on my mac.

thanks in advance for any help..

Guest TOSGcentral

Hi Ultralight,

Tut! And to think that I thought I had the place to myself today - then your post comes up hot on the heels of my own.

Sorry mate - when it comes to computers I am a total barbarian and shamble around with my knuckles dragging on the ground - so I cannot help you. Hence why I put in so much advice because the majority of people are in the same boat.

I expect some whizz will be on soon and give you the assistance this place is becoming famous for!

But while we are here - have a great Xmas eh!

Aye

Tony

We have a member of these forums that is the flight sim writer for Australian Flying - perhaps he might but in and advise.

Oh, and have a very merry Christmas :big_grin: - now get off your PC and go and enjoy yourself unless offcourse you got a new aircraft for Chrissy 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Hi Ultralights,

FSX will only run under Windows. You can install windows using an application called Bootcamp, which is part of the Mac OSX. From what I hear, it would be preferable to install XP rather than Vista, which is a huge processor hog & has a lot of issues. I used to run FSX on a windows machine, but after putting up with Windows for the past xxx years I decided to switch to a Mac. I have just bought an Imac 24" 2.4g & have decided not to install Windows. Instead, I am in the process of installing the latest version of X-Plane which will run on a Mac or a PC. There is also a reasonable free flight simulator called "flightgear" which will run on either platform. My advice is to try running FSX under Windows by using Boot camp. If it doesn't work stick it on E-bay & buy a copy of X-plane.

Merry Christmas,

Rgds Pete

Hi Guys,

FSX is a love/hate program. Although designed to run with MS Vista, it will run on XP but, you need the DirectX upgrade that comes with Vista for it to run properly. If you don't know already, Vista will prevent many games and applications from running due to the need for new drivers etc. It also appears to have a lot of problems bought about by deadlines for it going on the market.

Most of my simming friends, and I, have dumped FSX and have reverted to FS9. What you get in X can mostly be achieved in 9 with third party addons and updates. X is also very power hungry. If you don't have a top line pc, don't bother.

• 2 weeks later...

just an update, i have used bootcamp, and have set up vista on a partition on the drive, though sadly, getting to run and continue running without freezing or crashing is driving me nuts, so i will install FS9 in parallels and try and run it from within leopard.

sadly when FSX is running in vista with the updates/patches/service packs (microsoft crap) installed, it runs incredibly fast at a full frame rate with everything on... but it just wont do it for long..

ill report back on how well FS9 runs in leopard with parallels.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ultralights,

I have a 24" imac 2.4ghz with 2g ram. I installed WindozeXP using bootcamp & have installed FSX. It runs beautifully with frame rates in the high 20's, although I am using fairly conservative graphics options. I also run Xplane under Leopard & reckon it's better than FSX. Try the demo available for download on the Xplane website.

Rgds Pete