Avid Flyer with Jabiru 2200, should I buy it?

MIKKIE

I am thinking about buying an Avid Flyer built in the early 1990's with a Jabiru 2200, 80hp. Should I have concerns about getting parts for it in the future or anything else. It seems to be a good plane in good condition.

I have a Jabiru with 2200 engine. I have read some negative stuff about the engine but from my experience, it's a brilliant engine, and never gives me one moment of trouble. I DO change the oil every 25 hours and re-torque the heads and gap the valves clearance just to be sure. I changed the plugs every 50 hours or if I'm jus for any reason. These are a rock solid engine from my experience. Buy with confidence.

I am thinking about buying an Avid Flyer built in the early 1990's with a Jabiru 2200, 80hp. Should I have concerns about getting parts for it in the future or anything else. It seems to be a good plane in good condition.

Hi Mikkie - Westy here.I have an early 2200cc Jabiru engine ( generation 1 with solid lifters) - this has been a great engine and has never given me an ounce of trouble. Like Richard I change out the filters, oil and plugs at the appropriate intervals. Engine parts are available through Jabiru if needed.

I have my Jab on the market as I haven't the time to fly these days - if interested see For Sale on the Jabiru site. Registration 55-3261

Regards

Westy-3261

Hi Mikkie - Westy here.I have an early 2200cc Jabiru engine ( generation 1 with solid lifters) - this has been a great engine and has never given me an ounce of trouble. Like Richard I change out the filters, oil and plugs at the appropriate intervals. Engine parts are available through Jabiru if needed.I have my Jab on the market as I haven't the time to fly these days - if interested see For Sale on the Jabiru site. Registration 55-3261

Regards

Westy-3261

Thanks for the info

Frame parts are usually easy to get from the states or anywhere lots of the Avidflyer were sold- they were a kit aircraft. Anything on it should be easily made locally anyway, if needed. Many variations were built eg. The Kitfox.

The Avid is a good aircraft and the Jabiru are great engines.

• 4 months later...

After flying around the Pacific Northwest for the last 8 months, I can enthusiastically second the positive comments about the Jab engine

and the Avid airframe. I've done a couple of 200+ mile cross country flights, loaded up with camping gear, 1000fpm + climb.

Climbs to 6500ft to take advantage of wind and smooth air. CHTs and EGTs @300/1300 degrees, Oil tmps 180< even on 90 degree day climbouts--

Of course, short and rough field is her forte. I couldn't ask for better performance for the money.

As others may have indicated, engine support has been sterling--I had a (3 yr old) cracked starter housing replaced within a few days, cast part replaced

with a machined piece at NO cost--very responsive customer service.

Many Kitfox/Avid builders and owners around who can (and do) fabricate and even rebuild these aircraft, very little needed in the way of replacement

parts that can't be made.

I got a kick out of your location--I live across the river from Longview, WA. Small world...

G