Old dogs and new tricks

Old dogs and new tricks. Hi all, it’s been a big day for me, I just passed my RAA Pilot Certificate, woohoo, I am over 70 it’s been a hard grind but I finally made it! Now to start the real learning. I am over the moon, does that make me an astronaut?

Congratulations Dave,

Welcome to the club

Only those that look to the sky and wish they were up there can ever know the real freedom of flight

Now the bad news....you still have a heap to learn, so happy learning and enjoy yourself

Cheers

Bryon

Hi Dave

How many hours did it take you?

I'm interested because I'm 68 and it took me 18 to go solo. I was so disappointed in myself as I thought I'd be going solo in 7 or 8 ha ha ha!.

I've just done my passenger endorsement. Don't have my log book with me but think I got my certificate around 30.

Old age was the problem they tell me. I think because as older experienced people we see danger and pitfalls as young people don't. They just do it more or less blindly.

Steve.

Glad to see I'm not alone in clocking up the hours and the coin Dave.

Where do you fly from? I fly from Gympie. In which aircraft did you do your training?

I feel it's nice to communicate with someone around my age. That makes two things we have in common; flying and our age.

If you ever want to talk flying my number is 0474 760 805.

I get down the coast fairly regularly and would be happy to split a hire with you when you are passenger endorsed.

If you get up this way I'll take you for a fly.

I thought I would be not be short of people wanting to fly with me but learned quickly that is not the case.

Steve.

Old dogs and new tricks. Hi all' date=' it’s been a big day for me, I just passed my RAA Pilot Certificate, woohoo, I am over 70 it’s been a hard grind but I finally made it! Now to start the real learning. I am over the moon, [b']does that make me an astronaut[/b]?

No, it makes you a bloody hero in my book. Well done!

Being over 70 doesn't make you special around here mate. Big congratulations though. Plenty don't bother to try. Once you do that you are out of the system. You are correct about more to learn. Realising that is the first thing you need and you've done it. There is nobody who can't learn more and those who think they don't need to know more are tempting fate with the wrong attitude. Stay within your comfort zone with the challenges you give yourself and set yourself a practical standard. If you are falling behind or unsure, sort it out with a good instructor. Ask questions when something happens to you, that you don't quite understand. Respect the weather and don't fly when it doesn't suit you. Check your plane thoroughly. You need a bit of luck when you are just starting out getting experience. You play a big part in making your own luck. If you aren't sure of something check it again rather than think "she'll be right".. We were all there once... There's nothing quite like flying... Julius Caesar didn't have a ship like you have, to fly in..Nev

Hi again Steve, I fly out of Caboolture in a Foxbat, my CFI informed me that my passenger endorsement will be done on Thursday as I have the requisite hours. I was of the mistaken belief that I had to do 10 hours after getting my certification, however he told me I already had over 12 hours, so now on with the navigation so I can go anywhere. I would like to meet up with you and will give you a call.

Many thanks to all the other members that made me welcome, it’s something that I always wanted to do but never thought that I would. It’s funny the way things happen hey.