Drifter, Trike, Drone. Quick YouTube Video....

Be sure to watch the drone use in the first section. Interesting with disastrous results. 16 minutes, includes a Trike beach landing that....well, just watch. I plan to improve on this video in the next two weeks.

• Like 3

Not trying to tell anyone how to do it, just how I have always preferred to do it!....I`m now 70.5 years old and have done many beach landings in my 30 + years of flying Ultralights! I`ve only had a couple of rides as a passenger in Trikes, though.

I would never land on soft sand! The landing may go well but you may not be able to get airborne again. After determining my landing spot, I would only come in on final, with a glide approach, then sideslip off excess height.

Frank.

• Agree 1

Frank,

I understand where you're coming from but I have huge slicks on that Trike & have landed in much softer & wetter sand than that.

What happened was that I was running out of daylight to do some video drone stuff on the beach & just gave it that one cursory blow by & not paying much attention when I did because I'd been there two days previously.

I do feel however that I'm just not as sharp as I used to be either. Bottom line - Lesson Learned.

Thanks for your input. I'll be 70 next April.

• Like 1

Frank,I understand where you're coming from but I have huge slicks on that Trike & have landed in much softer & wetter sand than that.

What happened was that I was running out of daylight to do some video drone stuff on the beach & just gave it that one cursory blow by & not paying much attention when I did because I'd been there two days previously.

I do feel however that I'm just not as sharp as I used to be either. Bottom line - Lesson Learned.

Thanks for your input. I'll be 70 next April.

Yep! I know all the beaches I`ve landed on over the years and a change of the tides and wind can change the surface of the beach in a couple of days! a good sharp eye and a knowledge of what is a suitable landing area and what is not is definitely required.

If not all, most of the beaches in North Queensland are not much more than a wingspan wide and sloping down to the water, add a stiff onshore wind and it becomes a challenge, even to the experienced pilot.

I`ll dare say most people start to lose their sharpness as they age, I try to maintain mine by flying regularly! I did more stupid things in the early days of my flying than I do now! I was able to learn from them, to give me the knowledge I have today.

Callahan, thank you for your input!

Frank.

Frank said - I did more stupid things in the early days of my flying than I do now! I was able to learn from them, to give me the knowledge I have today.

I know Frank - I was there and watched!

• Winner 1

Frank said - I did more stupid things in the early days of my flying than I do now! I was able to learn from them, to give me the knowledge I have today.I know Frank - I was there and watched!

I love it!!!008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif...I was there and watched a few times also, 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif!!! Remember?

Frank.

I love it!!!008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif...I was there and watched a few times also, 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif!!! Remember?Frank.

I Deny Everything - Your Honour - I have done nothing compared to what uncle Frank has done, time and time again - and HE started it and showed me the dark side, and the fun of flying rag wings, (its all Franks fault) However, - in Franks only defence - It was CASA who said it was impossible for rag wings to do aeros in Australia because we were at the bottom of the earth and had no inertia or wing loading ! - Really truly CASA did say that Frank, - but you had to disagree with them again!

• Winner 1