Recreational flying in Brisbane area

Hi all,

Looks like I might have a new job to go to in Brisbane. Was hoping to get some info on available airports/ airfields in the region which cater for recreational licence- 3 axis. Also probably look at hiring at first.

Thanks and safe flying

Regards Jon

Hi Jon,

I can certainly recommend flying from Boonah with Airsport Queensland. Speak to Dave, he’s a great instructor too.

Caboolture have a few operators but I’ve not flown with them.

I tried flying at Redcliffe with a group there and was made to feel rather unwelcome as I hadn’t done my first training with them.

Hope this helps.

Michael

• Like 1

Depends which side of the city you will be living and how far you want to travel.

I like flying out of Gympie (hour and a half North of Brisbane) with the Recreational Flying Company, good selection of RAAus aircraft, very helpful and professional instructors also PPL and CPL aircraft I think - but I dont fly them so dont take much notice :( . Open 7 days a week which is an advantage for me.

Great area as its clear of controlled airspace under about 8500', although a lot a helicopter training activity in the area, and Gympie can get busy at times. Closer in to Brisbane and you get tied up with controlled and restricted airspace.

Plenty of other small airfields and easy access to the Cooloolah and Fraser Coasts - saw a pod of whales on Thursday South of Double Island Point.

• Like 1

I am not providing positive feedback or otherwise on the flight training facilities noted in earlier posts of this thread.

There are many historical threads on this topic. Have a browse, have a read. Some of the information is quite old and could be out of date but it will be interesting for someone new to the geographic area

Boonah is where I fly. Great people and location. All things being equal if the distance to drive isn’t that different for Boonah and Caboolture, it is less stress getting to Boonah because the traffic is a lot lighter whereas to Caboolture you have weekend Sunshine Coast traffic. If you live Northside though Caboolture would probably still be quicker

• Like 1

I fly out of Coominya and learned to fly there at Coominya Flight Training. I'd say it is the most economical place to attain your RPC, but it's a fair way west of Brisbane.

North side, you would probably want to look at Caboolture Aerodrome, there are several flight schools there. Also look at Redcliffe, there's Fly-Now and the Redcliffe Aero Club that does flight training, plus maybe more. Further north, there's Caloundra and Sunshine Coast airports with flight schools there.

Also worth a look in would be Archerfield Airport, on the southside, but worth it for the new controlled airspace endorsement just offered to RPC holders operating out of there.