Rivet supplier?

Marty_d

Hi all,

I need to source some 1/8" and 5/32" Avdel Avex rivets. Running out and the 1/8" ones I sourced locally aren't Avex, when pulled the bit inside the work (not the head but the other side) deforms unevenly so is often canted one side. I don't know if this makes a difference to strength but it looks untidy, I'll be drilling them out and replacing them with Avdel Avex.

A friend recommended Specialty Fasteners in Canberra as they had supplied him with 1,000 of each for a good price a year ago. Unfortunately they no longer split a box of 10,000 and I don't need that many.

Does anyone know of an Australian supplier willing to supply smaller amounts (1,000 of each would do me fine) of Avdel Avex? Part numbers are 01604-00412 for the 1/8" and 01604-00514 for the 5/32".

These are the type - the reduced shank means they deform nice and evenly. http://www.avdel-global.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Data/PDF/Datasheets/Metric/Breakstem/Avex_1604_mm.pdf

Thanks, Marty

Marty_d

This mob Cutting Tools, Fasteners and all your Hardware Needs | Bolts & Industrial Supplies is located about 10 minutes from my place. I get lots of fasteners from them for my bike. They'll sell you from one to one million. If they are out of stock, they will order in.

There has been plenty of discussion on the uniformity of the rivet shank (blind end) and the better quality ones do not deform as much. It is important to use a blind rivet with a shank length that is right for the thickness of the materials to be joined with the rivet. If it is too long the mandrel will pull through the shank and some deformity will occur before it snaps. Too short and it won't hold at all. Uniformity of the pulled shank may look better but as far as strength is concerned there is not much in it. Who is going to look inside at the deformed shank blind end anyway. I can't remember how many I used in my build but it was several thousand. Use a hydro/pneumatic riveter if you can.

I used Australian made Macsim AS blind rivets and some of the shanks are deformed a bit. None have ever failed, no mandrels have ever fallen out. I also used some stainless rivets in certain areas. None of the blind ends deformed using these. Even though steel and aluminium don't like one another an AS (Aluminium/Steel) rivet is stronger than an AA (Aluminium/Aluminium) rivet. These are readily available pretty much anywhere in boxes of 1000.

You can test the strength of blind rivets by riveting some aluminium sheet to a piece of frame tube/box/angle and try to pull the sheet off. Generally the sheet will fail before the rivets will.

I would have to check the part numbers although I am pretty sure that these Avdel rivers are in our extensive Tecnam parts stock and have supplied to LAME’s in the past. We air freight these in so they may be a little more expensive than bulk rivets by sea container. Regards Bruce

• Like 1

I would have to check the part numbers although I am pretty sure that these Avdel rivers are in our extensive Tecnam parts stock and have supplied to LAME’s in the past. We air freight these in so they may be a little more expensive than bulk rivets by sea container. Regards Bruce

If you could do so Bruce that would be fantastic. I've emailed Hawker Richardson who are Avdel's listed Australian supplier, but haven't had a quote from them yet.

If you could come up with a quote, please include freight to Hobart and PM me. Thanks!