ra aus 10- prefix. still used?

Yes.  95.10 aircraft can be registered with RAAus or HGFA dependant on type.

home built single seaters limited to 300kg mtow and 30kg/m at mtow are not terribly popular ... particularly as you’re not allowed to put kits onto that series unless the kit has been preapproved by RAAus/HGFA ... and I don’t think any have. 

basically  you can register a single sweater from a kit or home built in 95.55 and have 19 reg with more flexibility or under 95.32 with 32- reg so very few use 10- for new builds.  

The only real benefit of it is if you wanted to build a very light single seater jet or multi engine ultralight as the single engine propellor driven limits do not apply to 10- but do to all other RAAus series. 

On number sequence - all RAAus aircraft can have personalised numbers so long as they are not already used.  RAAus will charge you extra to get it allocated but it’s a possibility 

Be aware that once registered in ANY RAAus registration sequence it cannot be changed after.  If you want a specific number - and it’s available - you have to build the plane to get that number.  

In RAAUS registration is for the life of the airframe 

• Informative 1

Can you reserve the number like you can with CASA?

Yes.  Once you have advised RAAus of the build and it’s underway you can reserve a number ... for a fee ... and it’s an annual fee to maintain it until you finish and register.  

Be aware that once registered in ANY RAAus registration sequence it cannot be changed after.  If you want a specific number - and it’s available - you have to build the plane to get that number.  

In RAAUS registration is for the life of the airframe 

Well, I can’t imagine you’d want to change a number on your plane once you have it, whether you picked it or not so that won’t be a problem:)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a plane the other day with only three digits. The owner explained it was because it ended in zero (or was it beginning with zero?) 

anyway, if you have a number like that, would I be right in assuming you could still display all four digits if you want?

I saw a plane the other day with only three digits. The owner explained it was because it ended in zero (or was it beginning with zero?) 

anyway, if you have a number like that, would I be right in assuming you could still display all four digits if you want?

Ops manual 4.02

ICAO group method is the preferred means for expressing a four digit call sign. Group form is the pronunciation of a series of numbers as the whole number, or pairs of numbers they represent rather than pronouncing each separate digit. The use of group form may, however, be negated by four-digit identifiers or the placement of zeros in the identifier.

Examples:

Lightwing 0437 Tecnam 1346 Trike 1215 Aerochute 1001

= “Lightwing, zero four thirty-seven.” = “Tecnam, thirteen forty-six.”

= “Trike, twelve-fifteen.”

= “Aerochute ten zero one.”

I probably wasn’t clear. The rego painted on the side of his airplane was something like 19-438

when I asked why it was only three digits he said it began (or ended, can’t remember now) with a zero so it didn’t have to be painted on. My question is- if his rego was 19-0438 is it the case you can paint the zero on if you desired? 

Also, which is it that you would only

need 3 digits? 0438, or 4380? If the latter then I don’t have to worry because the number I’m hoping to get ends with a zero, not begins with a zero

Until tech manual 4 the leading 0 was not required to be displayed so 25-0125 could be 25-125

and in addition before tech 4 the 10- did not need to be displayed so 10-0125 could be 125 on the airframe.

all of this changed with tech 4 with no leading 0 exemptions and a requirement for 10- display. BUT all aircraft on the register at the date of tech 4 got grandfathered rights to display but you could choose to comply if you wanted. 

And if if you were one of the one airframes registered in 95-10 after the removal of display requirements in the ops manual but before they corrected the errors in tech 4 on display you have no obligation to display ANY rego marking on the airframe and that right was grandfathered. 

So so if you see a little yellow trike flying around without markings displayed just listen for the radio if I am using it because I’m legit no rego display and I choose not to voluntarily comply.  ?

• Informative 1