Jump to content

First Impressions


Recommended Posts

Is it time to develop a new name for the group of aircraft which are non fabric, non tube?


The term Ultralight conjures up open cockpit rag and tube. Even to me.


There is nothing wrong with that group of aircraft in fact it is a wonderful way to fly but when we talk types ultralight seems to me to be a bit too broad.


Can anyone think of a term that accurately describes an ultralight <544kg that is all metal or composite/glass, with cabin heat and a tadger off a 150/152?


EG Micro-Ultra- ??????-Light


My suggestion was light until it was pointed out that GA aircraft are termed light aircraft. (LSA? But what does that mean to a non flying person?)



Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a problem calling anything that weighs half a tonne 'ultra-light', I call 'em all 'recreational'.


If I get quizzical looks I explain that they're the planes that outgrew ultralights, also stops most 'ultra-light death trap' comments.


Don't see why you can't call them light aircraft, I'm sure the GA types do if they have VH printed on the side.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shirley?As in Shirley you're not serious.

I like Light Sport Aircraft. Works for me.


Fair enough LSA doesn't mean anything to the lay, but if Light Sport Aircraft still doesn't give them an idea of what you're talking about, English isn't their


preferred language.

Is that Shirley as in "Flying High" Shirley



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is that Shirley as in "Flying High" Shirley

Are we talking Leslie Neilson, and inflatable captains? If so, the movie was originally called "Airplane" which, could also be what to call a non rag ultralight. Although I do prefer "Areoplane" as I have a bit of a problem with the Ameracuns when they insist on spelling things wrong!!088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif


I do however still quite like the term Ultralight for any of the fixed wing aircraft, and Microlight for trikes. I know plenty of people who still can't get the difference between those two, let alone complicating the issue further by sub-dividing the fixed wing catagory. If I had a dollar for everyone who has said, (after I have tried to explain that I am NOT talking about a trike) "Oh, you mean a Cessna" then I would have enough money to buy Jabiru.... the whole company!!!


Regards, Redair.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually it way predates Flying High.


It's something that stuck in my head from my early Sesame Street watching days (shift work as a teenager I think 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif). They were getting an apple down from a tree and found that neither of them could do it alone, but if they worked together they could get the apple.


One said how great this was and that maybe they should call it "cooperation".


The other said, "No. Let's call it Shirley".


I cracked up and haven't stopped since.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Emphasis on the words "Cracked Up" 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Hmmm, I'd just remove the word 'up' and just say cracked...I mean anybody that throws themselves at the ground and misses must be cracked to call that flying 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif


sorry Slarti, I'm not really picking on you...:big_grin:


oh s:censored: ...we're off topic again....


Anyway, back to the topic. Just call them light aircraft. bugger all difference between a Jaba 160 and a Cessna 150. However there is a lot of difference between a Cessna 150 and a Beechcraft G36 Bonanza...both still referred to as light singles...;)







Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds good to me...


Years and years ago, I was introduced to a bloke near Forbes, and he offered me a ride in what looked to me as a Kitchen chair with wings and a fan.


I accepted the ride by the way, and got some top piccies of the Flatlands Hang Gliding - air to air shots, which was used by the local paper and the Telegraph.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

I figure that "Light Sport Aircraft/Aviation" is the simplest - and fits logically with "General Aviation".


So to the unitiated we can talk "Light Sport", just as we spell out "General Aviation" when talking about our big brothers... to the unitiated.


It's a bit like "sedan cars" and "sports cars"; one is for 'function', the other is for 'fun'....



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...