Right of Way?

I suppose I could have said PA28 where the F%$# are you. That might have got his attention but then why didn't he pay any attention to my downwind, turning base and final calls. He was either away with the fairies, decided he didn't need to tell anyone else where he was or was so used to a controlled aerodrome where downwind is often the only call you make as the controller will then provide instructions like "Continue No X to the Cessna on base for Y or Cleared to land".

If I hear a downwind call when I am already established there I'll make sure the following A/C knows that I am turning base & final. I don't assume that because he is behind me he can see me. To do that is either arrogance or stupidity & I lean towards the latter.

• Like 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose I could have said PA28 where the F%$# are you. That might have got his attention but then why didn't he pay any attention to my downwind, turning base and final calls. He was either away with the fairies, decided he didn't need to tell anyone else where he was or was so used to a controlled aerodrome where downwind is often the only call you make as the controller will then provide instructions like "Continue No X to the Cessna on base for Y or Cleared to land".

If I hear a downwind call when I am already established there I'll make sure the following A/C knows that I am turning base & final. I don't assume that because he is behind me he can see me. To do that is either arrogance or stupidity & I lean towards the latter.

He also could have been on a long flight and forgotten to switch to the local frequency, and thinking how quiet it was, which would also add to the danger.