Moruya

Guest brentc

I'm heading to Moruya to go to Narooma next weekend but haven't got an ERSA on me. I recall seeing a restricted area there, can anyone remind me of what it's attached to? I haven't been that way for a long time.

You don't need clearance to enter a danger area, so if you remain under 10,000 feet you won't need any clearance or plan even if the danger area is active. Just look out for traffic. Remember too that it is highly unlikely for it to be active on a weekend anyway!

Guest Flyer40

Brent,

D423 is associated with a couple of dodgy characters who fly in that area taking pictures of themselves so watch out for them ;) (sorry fellas, couldn't resist)

On a more serious note, I was once a pax in an aircraft that had a close encounter with two F111's that blasted by Moruya at 500 feet doing a squillion knots. We heard nothing on the CTAF and I defy anyone to have seen them coming. It wasn't close enough to have been an incident, but it did rattle me a bit. If they were just transiting the area then D423 would not necessarily have been activated.

And one other thing to note, the Rex Saab's sometimes do the Moruya/Merimbula trip at low level coastal.

Flight Following would be good if you can get it.

Mal

Flyer if the pig pilots couldn't see you they shouldn't be flying them! (They need to look out for much faster moving traffic for war or they'll be shot down first.)

Yes, it is true there could be military aircraft, airline aircraft etc - just like there could be military aircraft and airline aircraft anywhere else so it pays to always keep a good lookout.

I hope you have a great flight!

Guest airsick
On a more serious note, I was once a pax in an aircraft that had a close encounter with two F111's that blasted by Moruya at 500 feet doing a squillion knots. We heard nothing on the CTAF and I defy anyone to have seen them coming.

From the ERSA:

D423: High speed jet ACFT may be operating in this area. Operations may include abrupt vertical manoeuvres with ACFT on MIL FREQ.

That may be why you didn't hear anything. Like Mazda said though, they would no doubt have been aware of you guys.

One thing to consider at Moruya is that we now have a skydiving school operating from the aero club so you'll have to dodge free-falling meat bombs dropping through the clouds. But coming from Tooradin, you should be used to that.

Bob

True, true...... but that being said we've never had an incident at Tooradin regarding the sky-diving or meat-bombing as you call it.

As there is no 'dead-side' on the airfield, all skydive ops are on one side and flying ops on the other. Overflying aircraft are usually warned that parachuting is in progress and it's been a long time since anyone has done anything really dumb and flown through.