Do or don't I call for help?

Guest Flygirltake2

Guest Flygirltake2

I'm just wondering if any of you have any idea (or if there is a standard at what point in time you would consider is the right time to report that you are in trouble. It is such a scarey call to make!!!

Hi Karen,

As soon as you think that things are not going to the script.. you can call for assistance.

It might be just a call on the CTAF to confirm the active runway in use, to talking to the Air Ambo on a ten mile final (doing 200 knots) when you are turning base.. through to calling ATC for assistance.

At the ATC seminar in Shepp last year, Airservices said they would rather help a pilot in the early stages, especially if its a VFR flight into Instrument conditions.

Even when Nathan organised a visit to Melbourne Centre, I asked one of the controllers about when to call for help. The reply was "as soon as you think you need it."

The big thing is even on a VFR flight is to make sure you have the freqs of Melboune / Brisbane centre for the flight...

Ben

There was a very good story in Australian flying last issue about a VFR pilot haveing to fly into clouds.and he lived to tell the story,

its worth a read the ATC boys where very helpful

Paul

Our instructor took a bunch of us to visit ATC at sydney, which was a very useful experience for me. One of the things they stressed was if you think your in trouble, don't hesitate to ask for help - Its much easier for them if they get in on the situation early.

They also gave us a couple of example cases of what not to do, such as the gentleman who called for help because he was lost, and all he could tell them was "I'm over water". The water turned out to be the parramatta river, with land and houses each side (he was up the narrow end).

It was also quite scary watching some of the near miss tracks on people infringing airspace... One guy had a very close encounter with a RAAF herc.

Anyway, if you think you need help ask for it, thats one of the things they are there for.

Help

In a past occupation we used to say better to be tried by twelve than carried by six. I think it can be applied to this question.

If you are unsure to a degree you do not know that you can fix it. Inform someone. then make further decisions. No one can critisize you for asking for help.

However a lot of fatalities seem to stem from not wanting to ask or thinking they don't need help. Always err on side of caution.

My oppinion.

Jim

If you don't know the Centre frequencies, in an emergency try 121.5 the distress frequency. That should get someones attention, but it had better be serious.