RAA 19 registered aircraft into Class D with PPL?

Hi Crew

Having trouble finding the answer to the following - I have current GA PPL but wondering about flying a privately owned (ie not flying school)  RAA  19 registered aircraft (J160 with Rotax 912s) into Class D (YPJT) - looks like might be Ok without transponder? and I should be personally fit for the job but any ideas on the aircraft suitability?

Thanks in advance

First answer is there is no transponder required for Class D airspace. That's found in AIP fairly readily. I'll leave others to discuss the can you or can't you aspect, the answer lies in CAO 95.55, good luck decoding it satisfactorily. Some will say yes, some will say no, many will not be able to prove their conclusion either way. You need to be satisfied with proof, not just some well intended opinions. Imagine if you got it wrong, and you were relying on "some guy on some forum said I could/couldn't!" (insert buzzer sound here)

You must have calibrated airspeed, altimeter every two years and approved engine which Rotax and Jabiru are and your meant to get a letter of approval from RAA to say that it is approved for CTA.  Like what was said already I agree with .

see post #28. The regulation applicable to RA-Aus AND SAAA is CAR262AP Part (5). Yes RA-Aus has its own form as does SAAA

Unfortunately that does not in itself address the issue because:

1. It’s about  flying over built up areas not CTA ( in particular Jandacot YPJT ) which is what the question asks ) which are two different things. You can have built up areas outside of CTA and be covered by this CAR and have non built up areas inside CTA which it doesn’t.  I have to admit I am not familiar with the layout of the surrounding areas at YPJT. There may or may not be non-built up routes that could give access. Bearing in mind that a  published VFR route may not be clear of built up areas, so just cos it’s a published VFR route doesn’t mean it’s covered by the CAR either. 

2. It’s the broad CAR to which there are endless exceptions and if you really want to cover it all (?and this applies to every damn topic anyone might need info on) you have to go through the whole lot from CAOs through the  CASRs right down to the CAAPs ( if there are any in the topic) to find all the exemptions and specific sections etc. Its all way too hard for most people to go through it all. 

For it what it’s worth - and I do agree with 440032 - everyone will have a different opinion - but since I’ve been involved with several RAA pilots and their aircraft getting in and out of Class C I will add another 2 cents worth. 

Broadly speaking - the aircraft has to meet standards and the pilot has to meet standards. 

The aircraft standard is the same standard as if it was a VH.  That is - same instruments and all required maintenance ( certain instruments and that they are calibrated etc)  done. In class D that means no transponder needed ( Class C yes ) 

Now a further complication - if the route in and out takes you over built up areas then it must meet further requirements. It usually related just to type of engine. Needs authorisation. 

Pilot - Need CASA licence and the factors needed to exercise  its privileges ( ie: RPL or above and a current medical  suitable for it and a current AFR. ) OK - there are some Very specific exceptions  to that but they are not relevant in this thread. 

But you also need a RAAus certificate to fly the aircraft ( anywhere). 

So broadly if you fit all these criteria then yes it’s definitely do-able. 

• Informative 1

Regardless of what your  "ticks" add up to, with a single engine  failing, or empty fuel tanks you are going to make headlines  if you  go down into  a built up area. as well as risk serious injury to your self and your Pax..   Nev