Crop dusting in Piper Cubs

old man emu

This video was shot in the 1970's. Mississippi Delta cropdusting with an old Stearman biplane. Real seat of the pants stuff. I love how easily the old radial fires up.

I get the shivers when he handles the organo-phosphate insecticides so casually, not even using gloves - and he how he talks so coolly about getting sick, after getting a heap on himself, cleaning out a hopper.

The flying style looks as safe as a commercial jet, compared to the casual handling of the insecticide. 

• Like 1

The pilot above, is John T Walton, son of the Walmart Founder, Sam Walton. Unfortunately, his casual attitude caught up with him, he was killed in an air crash in 2005 at age 59.

He owned a CGS Hawk Arrow ultralight, and he had improperly reinstalled the rear locking collar on the elevator control torque tube. 

This allowed the torque tube to move rearward during his flight, and loosened the elevator control cable tension. 

The outcome of the failed repair was an in-flight loss of pitch control, without which Walton could not control the aircraft's attitude.

At the time of his death, he was reputedly the worlds 18th richest man, with a net worth of US$18.2B. 

You'd think he'd be able to afford a highly-meticulous LAME to repair his ultralight, wouldn't you? - instead of doing it improperly, himself.

• Informative 1

that pilot john walton in the video said he wanted ........................ '50 cents an acre and a house by the beach' 

was that 18.28 mill or bill onetrack ?

John, that is Billion, not Million. When you talk about Waltons, and Walmart, Billions are the standard measure.

I seem to recall reading that Walmarts total annual transaction value with the Chinese, was more than the total transaction value for the whole of Australia, with the Chinese.

I seem to recall reading that Walmarts total annual transaction value with the Chinese, was more than the total transaction value for the whole of Australia, with the Chinese.

If Trump cuts off trade with China, will the People of Walmart rise up in rebellion?

• Haha 1

Never fear, any revolt by the Walmart people will just be "fake news". Captain Edward Smith ... errr, sorry ... President Trump, knows exactly who's in charge of the ship, here ....  :cheezy grin: