You are talking about the low powered strobes fitted to RA Aircraft; pretty much a waste of time.

No I am not - research has conclusively demonstrated, air to air visibility (in VFR day conditions) is not significantly improved by having navigation lights on. The research was actually done on larger aircraft. Everything changes in poor/night visibility but that is not the conditions that most RAA aircraft operate in hence the fitting of Nav/landing light is not a requirement ( its optional ).

Nav & landing light will enhance visibility from the ground to air, ground to ground - no doubt but this has little impact on flight safety , perhaps an aircraft on final may be more readily seen by an aircraft taxiing/waiting to enter the runway, or alert a vehicle/pedestrian of an approaching taxiing aircraft.

Don't get me wrong I think they look great but its largely a cosmetic effect.

I agree with the comments about the observability of lights on RAAus aircraft, but that wasn't the question.

In my opinion you need to have witches and fuses for all systems. If you want every light on at the same time, then one switch will work, but if you want strobes, wingtip lights and landing lights, then you will need more switches.

You may also want to put in a connector at the fuse to wing joint, in case yo ever need to remove a wing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1