Finally Did it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I finally committed to buying a new 3-axis a/c.. It took 18 months of consideration and deliberation - a lot of it based on information from this Forum.. I couldn't start to list the people who fed my appetite for views and experience - covering everything from pros & cons of various a/c, to GPS's & other instruments, to airstrips, etc.. But I can thank Ian, for making the Forum happen and giving people like me access to so much information and the 'brains trust'.

So, early last week I plonked down my deposit on a new Jabiru J160C; then headed for Narromine to talk with the Jab people about panels, interior trim, etc. and look at a range of different panel configurations on the many Jabs there. I'm still finalising the spec. - but likely to go for the 'big' panel with Dynon D100 avionics and AvMap GPS.

It's interesting when I think back over the top contenders in my serious deliberations over the last few months: Savannah, Brumby, Allegro, Foxbat, Jabiru J120 / 160 /170. Originally I thought that with my paddock strip I should go STOL, but in the end I thought the compromises too great and the price too high - given my preference for 100kt cruise, long range and no main fuel tank in the cabin. It's hard to beat the value in any of the Jabs. So a few weeks ago the D5, trucks and grader were brought in to make my strip fit the a/c keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif We added 80m to the length (now 638m) and 6m to its width; moved 300 tonne of earth, graded and compacted it. So I can also expect a few more visitors now!! :thumb_up:

June delivery - so many sleeps to go...

Cheers,

Chris

[quote=bushpilot;

So, early last week I plonked down my deposit on a new Jabiru J160C

Cheers,

Chris

And a very good choice you have made I have had a J160 for 3 years 800hr and have seen the 1/2 of Aus and looking to the other 1/2 with no regrets about the J160

Congrats Chris.

I didn't know you were at Natfly. I was hoping that by standing next to the Cheetah all weekend, everyone would find me and say hello. Certainly heaps did - it was great to meet heaps of forum members. I think we sold quite a few Cheetahs and Sierras too.

I'd love to drop into your new strip sometime and catch up at your joint. Good job.

Ross

Well done Chris,

I hope that it all goes well for you and the strip fits.

Was in half a mind to drop in at your place on the way to Narromine last Thursday, but the conditions were a bit challenging and your place a bit east of track and further into the hills, so decided to stick with the task at hand - getting to Narromine.

Are you still keeping your trike for when you're in the mood for "Low-N-Slow", or passing it along to help fund your new Jab?

I've not sat in a J160 yet, but did sit in the J120 and J170 at Narromine and found the J120 a bit squeezy getting in & out and only about 1 inch between my dome and the roof. The J170 was more agreeable to my size (181cm 100kg) and had an extra inch or 2 above my head.

Would be interested to hear of any Jab-Warming party you might have planned for a fly-in.

Cheers,

Glen

Great stuff Chris, reckon you will be hoping the days go by quickly. Will you need to build a hanger?

I am finalizing my trip to Bathurst before the Queens bithday weekend in June so will miss the BBQ.

I will be intouch when details are concreted,

Phil.:thumb_up:

So does that mean were going to lose you from the trike Brotherhood chris ??

We were spending a couple of weeks in Sofala in late january, and I mentioned to my Brother-inlaw that you had a strip close by , and that we should drop in and make a pest of ourselves.. But ! could we Find your place ,no !!! . Better planning On our parts next time mate... Lance

Guest Fred Bear

And next time you are up Sofala way, give me a call/PM/email too. My folks farm is just down the road from there.

Ok Darren, My apologies to you as-well, we mainly had gold on our minds at the time so this may explain our tunnel vision so to speak, and absent mindedness, and we had the families in tow also. Wouldn't want an Invasion would you ??

But I will keep it in mind for next time thanks, Darren. Regards Lance

Guys - Thanks for all the remarks. As for the Qs:

1. I have a hangar already; but it will only fit a J160 or a trike - not both; so -

2. The Redback will have to go - unfortunately. I'll keep it til the last minute, then go for a quick sale at a 'give-way' price.. So alert anyone that wants a 'fresh' trike in June.

3. Mini-flyin sounds good! I'll have to tell Ma to plan the pumkin scones now ;)

Cheers,

Chris