New bloke with a KFM112 engined Kitfox mk2

skellywelly

The case of two pistons opposed from one crank pin is easily explained by using big ends where one is between the two legs of the other. I don't know if that applies to KFM.

I remember working on a V* years ago that had that arrangement, could have been a flat head Ford.

Jabiru first made a two cylinder engine, as proof of concept I think, then they made the 1600 four cylinder engine. I used one for about a year but changed to the 2200 engine, mainly because of wear and oil leaks in the 1600.

The KFM is "NORMAL" One rod to a crankpin. Yenn.  Ford was always staggered and side by side two on a crankpin like every US V8 I know except a  rare Pontiac model.. Merlins are fork and blade which is the most expensive set up. Most USA Vee twin bikes are also.   The Vincent twins Guzzis and Ducati are  Side by side which is stronger and lighter  and cheaper but there is a residual rocking couple not easy to balance out, but you can live with it. The Jabiru twin vibrated too much as the cylinder offset mucked the balance up. too much.as it has more main bearings than comparable engines.so more cylinder offset. Nev, 

• Like 1

@facthunter The generator was from Ducati Energia which, strangely is nothing to do with Ducati Motorcycles, it is now called Ducati Electronica.

Its the internal rotor type so is the same as early monsters, 900SS, Moto Guzzi California, Le Mans etc.

While on the subject of electrical things, my ignition system is a dual Leberg which apparently is very good.

Cheers,

Skelly.

Nev. You say Merlins were fork and blade. I assume that is ons bank had its big end sitting within the two bearings of the other bank, in which case I must have been thinking if the meteor engines which I worked on over 60 years ago.

• Agree 1

The Meteor tank engine was based on the Merlin engine. In fact, many of the earliest Meteor tank engines were built from salvaged Merlin parts from wrecked aircraft.

The only major difference between the Merlin and Meteor was the engines ran in opposite directions, as automotive drive rotation and aircraft drive rotation are nearly always opposite.

Yes I'm certain of it Yenn. It keeps each bank in line with the opposite which MAY not be the best situation. It's certainly much more expensive. The US V12  GM Alison doesn't do it but has roller cam followers which the Merlin didn't. Nev