Too close for comfort

OK.. impossible to work out where they were, but even assuming a non FISO airfield, there should be radio calls somewhere?!? That is nuts...

BTW, rather sadly, I used to work at Coles Myer at their Tooronga head office in Melb (nicknamed the "Tooronga Zoo"). A lovely lady (few years my senior) who was a server at the canteen (called "The Bistro") had a husband who was a glider pilot. He drove to Tocumwal every second Sunday, went for a glide and drove back. At the time, I used to go to Toc one a month for a weekend (Friday night to Sunday morning) mostly for gliding, but I never met him. I used to glide on Saturdays as well and left Sunday for a lazy sleep in and lunch before the 3+ hour drive back to Melbourne.

One Sunday evening I get back to Melbourne but go to the sis-in-law's place instead of home. As we are yapping away, one of her kids grabs my attention to the tellie to show me a glider accident at Toc; A power pilot was descending on final and the prop cuts through the tail of a glider. My heart sank as, although I didn't know his name (they hadn't yet married), I just knew it was him. The next day, she was not there, and when I asked about her, they just said she had a sudden family bereavement. I felt gutted, as  she confided to me she hated him gliding, but I used to assure her the drive home after an early morning drive up + all day gliding was far more dangerous than the gliding itself.

When she finally returned to work, I greeted her; she came out from behind the counter and gave me a big hug.. Tears were streaming from both of our eyes as I apologised for giving her false assurance. She told me not to be silly and agreed it was a freak accident and it brought some comfort he died what he loved doing.  It was the only time I thought of chucking it all in. I gave up gliding not too long after, though.. I have not been in a glider since (although I have yearned to a few times).

[edit] I still have the newspaper cut out...

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

10 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

I used to work at Coles Myer at their Tooronga head office in Melb (nicknamed the "Tooronga Zoo")

I worked for Coles/Myer around 2000 in charge of their GST Implementation Program...I was working out of one of their "Little Shop" areas (if you what they are) in Lonsdale St.