O ring-gasket bead - question

RFguy

On 27/01/2021 at 9:21 AM, RFguy said:

I have a quetsion about the use of circular or rectangular cross section gasket bead.

I want to push some silicone etc gasket bead in the fins on the top  couple of mm of the fins (so not to obstruct the available fin area more than necessary).

(why- because there is little.no clearance  for flat sheet on the outside of the fins in the region- so a pushed in bead an option if I cannot fit 2 thou SS sheet 

Is a circular bead goes to have better retention than a rectangular cross section cord ? it would be secured with a little suitable adhesive here and there.

suggestions. comments ? - intended use (orange bead below) and the small gap I have to work with (that reduces when it gets hot !) 

-glen

beadInFins_small.jpg.bc9d01a6b4d4fa6d83f859163f5ebd32.jpgnotmuchroom2.jpg.1f36f8a6920992df8edb9a5384a2ad85.jpg

How would the engine run heat management wise if the had less fins and wider spacing. The R engine have less than half the number of fins, disregard the water cooled heads as the water cooled heads on Jabs seem to make very little difference.  The R engines seems have the air running around well, may be a worthwhile trial is they could tweak the moulds fora few.

I think the jabiru is actually fairly optimal  for number of fins and spacing and fin thickness. 

it's just there just isnt enough fin area , not enough constant fin area out the edges to get a clean air path.-- no clean air path.. and no air-path  underneath .the jab cylinders need to be an extra 20mm apart... this discussion is continued back in the other forum.