GA landing at YSSY

hdus001

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

I wonder how the landing fees at Bankstown and K-S in the 70s and 80s compare to what they might be today. hdus001 did not tell us how much the movement fees were for the whole trip.

The charges are detailed here: https://assets.ctfassets.net/v228i5y5k0x4/1viJiqYujos0vpFcfQbdTo/e511a967130e61e5ab7f1e90d51dcc5e/Table_of_Charges_COU_Version_2.42_-_1_Jan_2021.pdf

My calculation is:

Runway charge: $60 (Is dependant on weight, but has a $60 minimum charge, as per the footnotes on the above page), 

Aircraft parking: This one I'm not quite sure, as we didn't really go to the dedicated GA area (Bays 102, 103, 104 on DOM5). We just landed at 16R, took the "G" exit to the left, then turned left at "B", and onto holding point "B3". We stopped there with the right-seat-pilot holding the brakes (with engine still running as we didn't want to do run up etc again) while the left-seat-pilot (me) got out and switched seats with the back-seater-pilot who then did the return flight. We had cleared all this with the traffic manager on the phone prior. While at this holding point we had a ringside seat for a big airline landing. Anyways, the largest number in this column is $154, so worst case we'll get charged that.

We'll only know the total charges once they send us the bill.

The flight itself was 1.5 hours, from turning on the engine at ysbk to turning it off at ysbk.

Well you get a look at Sydney I suppose but it seems a very roundabout way to go there.. If you fly from Tulla to Essendon the flight time is about 6 minutes and you are pretty busy but it's a turn left off 26 and then a left  base at Essendon for the Western runway there. That's with the usual winds. I go past Essendon a lot lately and there's usually lighties going in and out most of the time.

Just looked up my logbook Bankstown to Mascot.. 1962 Feb 24 Auster VH AMK  15 minutes each way I had about 100 hours up total.

By contrast, My LONGEST direct flight to Essendon was from LAE (in PNG) on 28 Nov 1966 . 12 hours exactly chock to chock DC-4 VH TAC. I reckon that's a world record for a 6 tank DC 4. The "standard" had 8.. Nev

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Roscoe said:

Thats a good video and pretty much a carbon copy of my flight last year.

As long as you are prepared, like this Crew, its a great experience!

Yes I think the only hard part was keeping on top of the radio. As you can see, the pilot on the right seat managed the frequencies, so that made this bit easier (I'm on the left seat in the video). 

Thought I'd just put an update here as there was a question about it earlier, the total airport charges for this flight has been confirmed as $132.86 ($66.43 for each flight plan - 2 flight plans, one for going in, one for departing). This includes GST.

7 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Does that figure include landing fees? I was under the impression the minimum landing fee at Sydney was $60.00.

The breakdown seems to be:

1) $60 Runway Charge. The cost is $6.59 per 1000 kilos, but has a $60 minimum as per footnotes on that page. There's no explicit "landing" charge.

2) $0.39 Passenger & Airfield Security charge. The cost is $0.34 per 1000 kilos. The aircraft MTOW was 1160 kgs, so this works out to $0.39.

3) GST of 10% on the above

4) Multiple the above figure $60.39+GST by 2 as there are 2 flight plans.

Edited by hdus001
  • Informative 1