Building the PBY (vintage doc • 25 mins)

Garfly

The Cat had fabric from the spar back, a lot of area to stitch-up and brush. I remember seeing a Cat on Survey work in the 70's used to take ages to fly over it was very slow.

The Corsair also had fabric from the spar back, unusual for such a high performance aircraft.

Edited by Student Pilot
Brainfart

The heavy type  of fabric is OK till about 240 Knots stitched properly. The Corsair would do more than that. The Hurricane was a lot of fabric. Don't like the idea of a hailstorm. Avoid them at all costs in anything.. Nev

On 02/03/2021 at 8:05 PM, facthunter said:

The heavy type  of fabric is OK till about 240 Knots stitched properly. The Corsair would do more than that. The Hurricane was a lot of fabric. Don't like the idea of a hailstorm. Avoid them at all costs in anything.. Nev

Not sure about the last variants of the Corsair but most of the ones in WW2 had fabric spar back. I have seen a pic of rows of Corsairs lined up after war in the Pacific, they must have been there a while as most of the fabric had rotted away showing the structure underneath. I would have thought a Corsair was good for over 300 knots indicated. Most of the WW2 fighters had fabric control surfaces and the likes of Spitfire went well over 240 knots.

58 minutes ago, Student Pilot said:

I have seen a pic of rows of Corsairs lined up after war in the Pacific, they must have been there a while as most of the fabric had rotted away showing the structure underneath.

Like this C-47 that used to live at Mareeba. (And was being restored at Caboolture, last I heard.)

604955003_DC3Mareeba004sm.thumb.jpeg.8b4a9ef75646ecc04657da5c2b7ad20b.jpeg