college of civil aviation correspondence course

Friarpuk

Hi folks:help:

I am asking on behalf of my computer iliterate instructor for anyone out there who might have access to an old correspondence aeronautical course called the College of Civil Aviation. From his memory it we arround in the late 50's and he is interested in anyone who might have the navigation section of this course.

If you've got it, give us a hoy!

Thanks

Friarpuk

All I have left is the one lesson about the Kane Computer. I have kicked myself many times for throwing the rest out, that was PPL and Commercial. I got it in 1967 and it was money well spent.

I'm not too sure what the Kane Computer actually is. My instructor told me that in his opinion this course has the best way to plan VFR navigation. He wishes that he had kept the course too.

Can you tell me, from what you have got, what it's correct title is and who published it. The year of publishing, and the author if it's got one. It might make my hunt just a little easier. I figure it's got to be in a libruary or in the back of an aero club cupboard somewhere.

Thanks Yenn

It is part of the Commercial Pilots course, probably 1967 or 68. The author is College of Civil Aviation.

I tried to photocopy using my Canon scanner, but after doing about 44 scans it said there was an error and it couldn't be read so I photographed it and put it on a disc.

With luck I will be able to get it delivered in about a weeks time, if I can track down the pilot from Chinchilla. Failing that I will post it to you.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not too sure what the Kane Computer actually is. Thanks Yenn

Yenn,

A Kane computer consists of a body and a slide insert. One one side of the body is a circular slide rule with which you can perform the various calculations required for cross country navigation.

The other side uses the insert and the rotatable compass ring to enable you to solve Wind Triangle problems, ie if the wind is blowing from such and such direction at so many knots, and you want to fly at so and so direction at cruise speed, what will your actual groundspeed be and how many degrees will your heading need to change to allow for drift.

I' having trouble uploading pix at the moment. I hope to get it sorted out tomorrow night, and maybe can post them then.

Old Man Emu

It was Friarpuk who asked what it was, not Yenn!

Anyway I have learnt a lot more about the kane computer since and this is the actual thing we need from the College of Civil Aviation Correspondence course.

I have received some advice but it was for the Dalton Computer.

We need the instructions for the Kane, especially for the section on the bottom of the computer that is not on the other newer computers out these days.

I now know what the computer is, my instructor has been using one for years, but has requested if I can find instructions for them. Apparently the Civil Aviation Correspondence course does a good job of explaining just this.

If anyone has this section of the course and can copy it and send it to me, I would really appreciate it!

Friarpuk

Friarpuk,

Looks like I'll have to scan the instruction book and send you a CD-Rom. Have you got a Kane?

When you say "We need the instructions for the Kane, especially for the section on the bottom of the computer ", do you mean the instrucions for solving wind triangles?

Old Man Emu

My instructor has a kane but can't locate a book for it anywhere, he just remembers the 'good old days' when the Civ Av Correspondence course explained its function well.

Not sure what my instructor actually wants, I'll ask him. But I remember him showing me the bottom of his computer and saying he want to re-read how that section works. That was after he had worked out a flight plan with another student by using the regular method of dialing up air speed and wind direction, marking the wind speed, then dialing up the direction of the flight path. The thing he pointed to was below all this stuff.

Other than that I am a bit vague as I am still only on the circuit stage of training and haven't seriously studied these things yet.

Although if I can get a hold of the Kane documentation then he says he will teach me how to quickly and simply us the Kane Computer

Friarpuk

Yep found those zip files the other day. Actually bookmarked the web page. Still looking for the College of Civil Aviation Correspondence course material though!

Friarpuk

Friarpuk,

I was going to scan my instruction book, but the link that tonymcg has given is the job done. The second zip file has the instructions you want.

I did the C of CA course way back in the early 70's. They have been lost due to marriage and many moves about the State. Sorry I can't assist with the books.

Old man Emu

Just did a quick "Google" search for "Kane Computer dead reckoning" and got a few good hits. What appears to be the best one is : http://sliderule.ozmanor.com/man/man-download.html where you'll find links to 2 ZIP files that contain scanned images of the documentation. Hope that helps, Tony

Ah now, that brings back memories! I still have an Aristo Studio slide rule and it is still perfectly adequate for the general time distance calculations in navigation and NO batteries.

The Kane computer is the same as an E6B with a circular slide rule and sliding wind component calculator. I have a vintage version which is an RAAF Mk 1 Aerial Dead Reckoning Computer G6B manufactured by W&G Melbourne. It is made from engraved stainless steel and probably should be included in weight and balance calculations but a lovely thing none the less.

Cheers, Selwyn

Shaula1247,

Get onto eBay and search for that computer you have. I think there's one for sale with an asking price in the hundreds of dollars.

Old Man Emu

FP, are you refering to the square grid section on the bottom of one side of the wind slide?

If you are, that is used for plotting drift angle and ground speed from radar. Known is TAS HDG and time from start to finish. Putting grommet on zero note times and relative bearing to target mark point on centreline of grid in realtion to distance from grommet. After a series of plots draw a line joining the plots rotate the card until the lines are parrallel to the centreline and note the drift angle. Place the first plot on the zero line and measure down the scale to ascertain the distance travelled for the given time. GS is now known. Plot HDG drift TAS and GS to ascertain W/V:thumb_up:

Friarpuck.

Obviously the CCA course I sent you was not what you or your instructor want.

My computer is a Kane Mk-6B, so if that is what your enquiring about, let me know exactly what it is you need to know and I will find the info in the handbook and send it to you bu email or personal message.

• 2 months later...

Thanks folks for the information!

You have all been a great help and I have learnt heaps since I asked the initial question.

Skybum I think you have answered one of my questions, thanks!

However, since I am only the messenger here, I'm not sure exactly what my instructor is looking for.

I have passed on information you have forwarded to me and he still says that there was a simple explanation for the use of the kane computer, that was in the CCA Correspondence course.

I imagine he will start up about it again soon, as I am not far off nav training.

Thanks again folks

Friarpuk

I searched through my handbook for the Kane computer and nowhere can I find any explanation for the squared off bottom area. I have never used it and in fact had completely forgotten it existed. Why I didn't ask the question back when I did my theory I cannot imagine, but I would be interested if anyone knows what it is and how to use it.