ADS-B Receiver?

The best solution , in my opinion, is a Raspberry pi $80 , a RTL SDR dongle $25 , and a 1090 ADSB PCB filter ($10)and a 6dB gain antenna( $50-$150)

Edited by RFguy
  • Informative 1

A Stratux (or ADSB pi)  works fine out to 30NM from the ground, further when you are in the air, and that is with the standard wire antenna included with the SDR Dongle.

What is the ADSB PCB filter's role in the setup?

Unless I have missed the point and you are trying to replicate Flight Radar.

The filter is required to protect the RTL-SDR receiver, which, when at high sensitivity (needed) is very easily overloaded by other transmitters. 

The filter keeps them out, sufficiently.

RTLSDR and 0dB gain antenna can do 30 to 40 nm to a  200W (usual) transponder.  Can do 60-80nm with a 6dB gain antenna. Can do 150-200nm with a 9dB gain antenna and low noise preamp , assuming you are in a place  that has 150nm line of site to the plane.   

From on the ground,  plane earth to airplane at 6600 feet , that's 100 nm.   .  For SkyEcho. divide all those distances  by 5.

I tried a Stratux once. I was always tightly followed by an airplane, just one meter apart: my own ADS-B-out signal… Does anybody know how to filter that out?

SkyEcho seems to be a very good in /out solution, very simple.