IMC topics

17 hours ago, MattP said:

If you go the PIFR route, note that to fly at night you need to add the Night FPA to the rating, but if you do a CIR you get night as part of it, and you can fly night VFR, whereas PIFR and night FPA means you can only fly at night under the IFR.

Don't ask me why, but that's what's written in the rules...

You may have misunderstood - Regulation 61.940 Part 6 ?

yeah nah found it, 

surely, for interpretation of these, when there are multiple references, a giant FLOWCHART would be be easier to navigate.
wow you can get a Gyroplane IFR endorsement

Edited by RFguy

It’s in table 61.935 part 6 item 22. Note the difference between the same table for instrument rating and Pifr. The pifr specifically mentions only at night under the ifr.

table 61.890 says at night under vfr or ifr for instrument rating (cir)

if it’s not specifically in the table you can’t do it.

same as the basic pifr only allows you to navigate at day enroute, not do approaches or departures etc without the fpas.

either way, don’t take advice in an Internet forum as gospel, go and check for yourself with an instructor when you go and do your research on what works for you.

55 minutes ago, RFguy said:

Been reading that whole volume. There is quite a lot of emphasis on recency/currency. 

Yes, you've lost horizon, so the first level of stress is scanning the primary instruments - easy - the second is you can't see where you are going or where you just passed, so your compass points have to come to mind instantly and positioning instruments moitored, then you changes are based on reacting to ATC so youhave to understand them, then if you need to amend it's where the hell you will go (these are just a rough outline) Training on that every day it quickly becomes routine. Flying in RPT or Commercially much the same, you're being reminded with every experience, you hear about every change and how someone handled it, and its a routine job.

Do 10 hours a year and you have to cope with several changes while you're under full load, ATC ask you a question which was in the book but you just hesitate long enough trying to remember that you get a kick in the pants. It's just a different dimension for a different type of flying you can avoid if you're flying for recreation.

• Agree 1

Turbs, I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement : 

"Do 10 hours a year and you have to cope with several changes while you're under full load".

amen, that rings so true.   and let that be a warning bell. that's a time when you F up.

and I've heard people get a kick in pants on the radio .... Makes you wince, you know the pilot is under pressure. 

1 hour ago, turboplanner said:

Yes, you've lost horizon, so the first level of stress is scanning the primary instruments - easy - the second is you can't see where you are going or where you just passed, so your compass points have to come to mind instantly and positioning instruments moitored, then you changes are based on reacting to ATC so youhave to understand them, then if you need to amend it's where the hell you will go (these are just a rough outline)

This is true, but you can offset the main systems based stuff using your home PC with a relatively accurate simulation package. The garmin trainer is good for G1000, as is X-plane (to a fairly decent degree). That way you can practice procedural and systems things, and keep up to speed. There are also various "study" level sims out for many avionics packages. Not suggesting these proxy for real flying in IMC, but they help keep the systems knowledge up.

Again, choice wise as a private pilot, I can choose what I fly (renting) and how it's equipped, but you're not going to get that luxury if you're getting paid to do it, nor will you be able to say "yeah, nah" if you just aren't feeling it on the day.

There is a large element to the 7 P's to any endeavor and this is no different. I tend to prep if I haven't flown in a while by simming the route out, refreshing the systems and procedures work, so I have a good idea of that aspect. 

Although, I wouldn't go blasting off into overcast down to minima anyhow, but definitely not without being current. There is also always the option of asking an instructor for some dual, which is something most people don't consider once they get their license, until AFR time, but that can be good preparation and time / money well spent. This isn't just limited to IFR, can be good if you're a bit rusty in general.

Also, whilst ATC can get a bit short at times with people, they're professionals and are there to help you, no issue asking for an instruction again or clarifying something. Better than turning the wrong way.

Traffic outside CTA is what I personally find leads quickly to task saturation, as its usually at a critical point of the flight (take off / approach) and you're thinking about that, where the traffic is, what they're doing, talking to them and ATC... For some people its holds etc.