Question about Savannah wiring loom

Hi all,

I bought a set of Savannah instruments (brand new) as the builder had decided to go with a glass cockpit instead.

He threw in the wiring harness with it, which, given my 701 is pretty much identical to a Sav VG / XL in any case, has been very handy.

I've had a lot of help from @IBob and @Kyle Communications with the wiring, but there's a couple of oddities on my loom that theirs doesn't seem to have.

1. The 50A fuse that goes between Relay (solenoid) and Regulator - theirs has one terminal on each side, mine has a ring terminal on one side (Relay) and 3 spade connectors on the other side.   What are the other 2 spade connectors for?

2. There's an additional double yellow cable in red insulation, with female spade connectors on one end and male connectors in a plastic junction on the other.  Does this have anything to do with the extra connectors from the 50A fuse, and if so, where do they go? 

Thanks!

Cheers, Marty

20210820_230621.jpg

20210820_230606.jpg

20210810_120930.jpg

3 minutes ago, IBob said:

Marty, you already have your alternator yellow wires connected to the voltage regulator, right?

Yep - the braided line up from the generator with 2x yellow leads in it, plugged into the "G" ports in the regulator.

Is this it?

My yellow alternator wires come up to a connector. This has a mating connector, and the wires from that then go up to the regulator.

That's the connector, cable tied down and together at lower centre of the pic:

DSCF2406.JPG

• Helpful 1

Ah - that must be it.  I plugged the generator wires straight into the regulator.

Is that perhaps for engines that are mounted further forward?  Mine reached the regulator fine, so not sure that I need to use the extension.  Less connections would be better I assume?

Yep, provided there is enough cable to route it so that you can secure it to the engine mount etc.

I'm amazed at some of the pics we occasionally see of wiring trailing loose around engine compartments: seems to me that's asking for a break or a short due to vibration and chafing.......

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Hi all,

I bought a set of Savannah instruments (brand new) as the builder had decided to go with a glass cockpit instead.

He threw in the wiring harness with it, which, given my 701 is pretty much identical to a Sav VG / XL in any case, has been very handy.

I've had a lot of help from @IBob and @Kyle Communications with the wiring, but there's a couple of oddities on my loom that theirs doesn't seem to have.

1. The 50A fuse that goes between Relay (solenoid) and Regulator - theirs has one terminal on each side, mine has a ring terminal on one side (Relay) and 3 spade connectors on the other side.   What are the other 2 spade connectors for?

2. There's an additional double yellow cable in red insulation, with female spade connectors on one end and male connectors in a plastic junction on the other.  Does this have anything to do with the extra connectors from the 50A fuse, and if so, where do they go? 

Thanks!

Cheers, Marty

20210820_230621.jpg

20210820_230606.jpg

20210810_120930.jpg

Could link the circuit, feed from additional alternator and to the capacitor. The Rotax installation wiring diagram will assist I’d expect. Have you got a savannah wiring diagram? South Africa put out one.  I used that enlarged to A3 size and whited out what was not applicable on my hookup and added my additions and changes. Colour coded some wires and then reduced to A4.  It’s good help to be able to trace your wiring of an accurate wiring diagram. Hope this helps.  If you want a copy of the SA diagram and mine pm your email and I’ll send.

31 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

Could link the circuit, feed from additional alternator and to the capacitor. The Rotax installation wiring diagram will assist I’d expect. Have you got a savannah wiring diagram? South Africa put out one.  I used that enlarged to A3 size and whited out what was not applicable on my hookup and added my additions and changes. Colour coded some wires and then reduced to A4.  It’s good help to be able to trace your wiring of an accurate wiring diagram. Hope this helps.  If you want a copy of the SA diagram and mine pm your email and I’ll send.

Thanks Mike!  PM sent.

• Like 1