Skyecho-ADSB- share your experiences where it was of benefit

RFguy

Flying from Cowra into Orange on Friday (test flight) , a short hop, at 10 miles I made my CTAF call on radio #2 (melb-center is on radio #1) ...

and I  established communication with the mail plane also inbound for same runway , same circuit time (his was a straight in, I was going into circuit) .

They also advised that they  had me  identified on TCAS.

When I was on the downwind, I heard melb-center call the mail plane  XYZ directly telling them that  24-7597 appeared to have just joined the circuit at Orange. XYZ didnt respond immediately on melb-center frequency .

So I called  melb center and advised  that I  had establised communication with XYZ . they were pleased and life went on. 

Now, the interesting thing about this is that I had not established comms with center, center was able to pull my callsign from the ADSB beacon in my SkyEcho  .

System works. 

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

As far as I know, aircraft ID has always been a part of what the SkyEcho broadcasts (along with position /pressure-altitude info from its internal sensors).  And, of course, it's not only ATC and nearby aircraft that can get the memo; anyone in the world with Flightradar24 on their phone sees what you're up to (assuming FR24 coverage). Which is why it's necessary to reconfigure the device if you take it up in a different aircraft (for which you'd have been given a separate official hex-code). 

Edited by Garfly

Diverting slightly from the aim of the topic, I notice my SkyEcho signal comes up sometimes on Flight Radar 24. How do I get the icon changed, and upload photo etc? I have googled this and tried some suggestions with no success. I currently show up as R4927 on FR24 with a large aircraft icon and no details. Anyone else done this with a RAAus aircraft?

1 hour ago, kiwiaviator said:

Diverting slightly from the aim of the topic, I notice my SkyEcho signal comes up sometimes on Flight Radar 24. How do I get the icon changed, and upload photo etc? I have googled this and tried some suggestions with no success. I currently show up as R4927 on FR24 with a large aircraft icon and no details. Anyone else done this with a RAAus aircraft?

https://www.jetphotos.com

Where do the photos of aircraft displayed on Flightradar24 come from?

Photos displayed for each aircraft come from JetPhotos. If you’d like your photos to appear on Flightradar24, please submit them to JetPhotos.

Added extra FAQ

I uploaded a photo of an aircraft to Jetphotos, why is it not showing on Flightradar24?

All photos go through a screening process where the JetPhotos screening team will ensure that photos meet the required JetPhotos standards. If your photo has not yet been screened it will not be displayed. Flightradar24 displays the newest photos (sorted by photograph date) to ensure that latest photos of an aircraft are displayed to users. Photos not showing the paint scheme completely, such as silhouettes and close ups will be excluded. Some photograph categories are also excluded from display on Flightradar24. For example, any photographs that are categorized as "cabin", "wing view", "cockpit", or "exclude from Flightradar24" will not be shown.

Edited by mkennard
  • Informative 3