Medical in a time of COVID

NT5224

Folks my basic  medical is due renewal next month.  Here in the Territory we expect a COVID peak around then. GPs are struggling.

Have CASA granted a medical renewal amnesty (extension) or anything like that? As state health services struggle to provide emergency services...

I have absolutely no problem with the medical. I just don't want to burden stretched Territory  health services, and I don't want to contract COVID in a doctors surgery full of sick people. I live out bush so am not regularly exposed to COIVID. 

Cheers

Alan 

Edited by NT5224
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NT5224 said:

Folks my medical is due renewal next month.  Here in the Territory we expect a COVID peak around then. GPs are struggling.

Have CASA granted a medical renewal amnesty (extension) or anything like that? As state health services struggle to provide emergency services...

I have absolutely no problem with the medical. I just don't want to burden stretched Territory  health services, and I don't want to contract COVID in a doctors surgery full of sick people. I live out bush so am not regularly exposed to COIVID. 

Cheers

Alan 

What’s been happening here is that medical appointments have been working well so I’d recommend you book. Once you’ve done that the Practice will tell you if rules change. In Victoria the pathology companies have been taking blood right through the past two years as an example. Hospitals have been requiring a negative test before surgery. A Dame should be easier than those.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

What’s been happening here is that medical appointments have been working well so I’d recommend you book. Once you’ve done that the Practice will tell you if rules change. In Victoria the pathology companies have been taking blood right through the past two years as an example. Hospitals have been requiring a negative test before surgery. A Dame should be easier than those.

So no extensions -even in states where health services are on the verge of collapse?

I recalled there was a 6 month extension given in 2020...

39 minutes ago, NT5224 said:

So no extensions -even in states where health services are on the verge of collapse?

I recalled there was a 6 month extension given in 2020...

That’s a different story. No point asking on a Social media site when you can get the answer direct from the official decision maker.

Alan, the webpage below lists the current COVID-19 exemptions and extensions. The largest majority of the extensions and relief measures given, end on March 31, 2022.

Some extensions are to 2023, and some even to 1st Jan 2024 - but there is no longer any extension time for medicals.

I see no major problem with you proceeding with a medical appt. Yes, we do live in a era of serious apprehension of catching any variety of COVID-19, but if you're double vaccinated, and even better, triple vaccinated - and if you follow all the COVID-19 protocols and regulations, the risk is low. Your doctors surgery won't be "full of COVID-19-carrying, sick people".

https://www.casa.gov.au/operations-safety-and-travel/safety-advice/covid-19-advice-industry/covid-19-exemptions-and-instruments#

https://www.casa.gov.au/licences-and-certificates/aviation-medicals/medical-certificates/renew-medical-certificate

Edited by onetrack