Hash

4 hours ago, facthunter said:

You have to be taught to do a proper scan.. Nev

True! and it will significantly improve on the untrained BUT there is no getting away fro the truism that the human eye is about as good for flying as the human body.

There is hope however - the untiring improvements (& miniaturisation ) of cost effective  technology, will eventually see the installation of TECAS type technology in all flying machines.

• Like 2

It's clear that the flashtube strobes are powerful emitters. And quite efficient.

But the reading I did that steady lights requires some dwell time in a sector of the sky to recognise, whereas the pulses light source could grab your attention quickly was an interesting find. 

It's a good reason to pulse your light source .

I need to replace the beacon on the tail of my J230.  GA Tail top Flashtube strobes vary between 25 and 50 Joules. both good numbers

Consulting FAA guidance and rules :

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-C/part-25/subpart-F/subject-group-ECFR0cb7970b9d1fd5f?toc=1

interesting, 400 candela/flash rate (not much)  (of red or white  required on axis. overlapping colours ot be synchronized. yeah all makes sense.

Interesting #2- for a strobe, 400 candela and 1mS duration and 1Hz flash rate and 20 deg beam angle = ~ 500klms say again, we're up in that 1 million lumens department for narrow pulses.

Given that the eye can detect infintestimal pulse width- just as long as enough photons get into the collection bucket to trigger. 

So, mostly its a battle against the daylight, hence the need for a few million peak  lumens.

Edited by RFguy
  • Informative 1