talking of alternatives for Rotax 912, what about starter motors and stators?

danny_galaga

Posted (edited)

Hi Danny & Co, thanks for your hard work with this, have sent you a PM. This has been my day 🤣 Stumbled across this forum and your thread in my desperation. I'll have to take the X-Air up again (super fun, but not the same, not great for getting anywhere! But at least i'd be up in the sky!)

DirectPower.jpg

starter.png

BattOrStarter.jpg

Edited by zerogravitas
  • Like 1

I have bit the bullet and gone for one.

My only concern is this is the longer 0.9kW (mentions 914 in Illustrated parts catalogue) variant so whilst front interface the same the positive terminal at the rear may impinge on white chassis shown below. But for cost of this i can buy both short (to be found) and long variants way withing the cost of £400-500 of getting one from America.

I can either strip for more info or sell on. when i get the old one out i will do controlled disassembly.

This is non-certified.

Starter Motor Fits BMW F650GS Dakota 652cc 00-07 228000-6900 228000-8050 18820 | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

PositiveStarter.jpg

overview.png

• Informative 1

I can't remember if I ever noticed there were two power ratings! Going by that illustration, I have the 0.9kw version. Keep us informed! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

They've sent me a clockwise rotation one i think rather than Counter-Clockwise. Does anyone know the rotation for certain. I've just assumed CCW from seeing it somewhere! Though it makes sense with connected gears turning opposite directions - Anti-clockwise sprag clutch into clockwise engine.

I actually have a straight up replacement that i managed to find for £200 rather than £500-700. But i will try add what i can to this thread.

Edited by zerogravitas
  • Informative 1

Your ebay listing says CCW. If you are careful you can put some jumper leads on it and see which way it spins. Be careful though as it will jump when it spins. Unless you carefully mount the lugs in a vice. But don't clamp the carcass (body) in a vice since I think it is permanent magnet, you don't want to crack them. Does your old starter work at all? You can do the same with that and see if they both spin in the same direction.

• Like 2