SKyecho imperfections

flight radar24  or flight aware

flightaware has better server  - system software. FLight radar24 has been presentation but more troublesome server systems, I have found anyway. 

Generally, you will upload to both from the one Raspberry Pi or PC.

You need an internet connection you can use- the data usage will be bugger all, especially if you reduce the seensitivity so it can only see 20nm etc instead of 100 nm. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

23 hours ago, kgwilson said:

You may need to set up your SE2 as an ADSB device in FR24 and then there must be a ground station somewhere receiving the transmission from the SE2 which passes it to FR24 through the internet. You can set one up very cheaply with a Raspberry Pi connected through your home network but there may be some in your area already. Somewhere in FR24 there is a huge list of all the ground stations registered with FR24.

This is all I found- it doesn’t appear there are any ground stations in my part of the state. We have a good wireless broadband connection but don’t have a PC, just mobile devices. Is our house a candidate for this system?

image.jpeg

but when you are up in the sky, another SE2 is all you need.  (that and something to display it) 

There are quite a few applications that will display the SE2 data (GDL90 ) onto a map, not just Ozrunways.  also onto EFIS screens via a wifi converter.

• Informative 1

In the Lockyer Valley area Flightradar24 won't pick you up unless you are above 3500 to 4 thousands feet.

We are in a very busy area between Archerfield and Toowoomba, I put in a request to host a unit but was declined, and while it is only for people on the  ground to watch on FR24 it is handy to check if your Skyecho is working. 

Ground stations seem to be concentrated around cities. They are few & far between in the regions of Australia. It used to cost about $45.00 to set up a Raspberry Pi receiver but I think it is over $100.00 now. Anyway all that I am concerned about is seeing others in the area I am flying in and hope that they can see me.

At present there are too few aircraft ADSB out equipped and even fewer with ADSB In. Most I see are Training operators who have had to install ADSB out to their ES Mode S transponder. The 6-7k cost has put most private operators off. If the entre GA & RA fleet had SE2s everyone would see everyone else.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I have installed a external antenna to mine and it increases its rx and tx range at least by twice using a external antenna. You have to make a pigtail as there is not enough room inside to install a antennea socket on the case. You need to remove the miniture coax connector on the pcb and carefully attach the good quality coax to the correct pads and of course anchor the coax inside with neutral cure silicone or similar. Of course you do this at your own risk and also your local countries rules. But it allows you to go to a proper ADSB antenna. It works but you still need the SE2 on the dash for the GPS signal

IMG_0902.thumb.jpeg.c1a4f6bf1d5040781c78496423378dd8.jpegIMG_0904.thumb.jpeg.31cba624d97210ff96dfb0b0acc5036a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1