Carpeting the Cockpit

Despite the carpet in my kit being precut, fitting it wasn't the pleasure I thought it would be.
I was using Ados F2 contact adhesive from the can on the hull, and from spray cans on the carpet. I'm a fairly tidy worker, but it was messy, with overspray finding it's way onto me, the floor, and anything in the vicinity of the spray area. It had the usual contact adhesive problem that you only got one shot at positioning the carpet piece. And I went through 2 cans of spray with only half the job done.

For the second half, I hit on a better system: I thinned the can of F2. This allowed me to spread it on both hull and carpet with a brush, slowed the drying time, and allowed the piece to be peeled and repositioned if not properly placed.

This was a huge improvement.

The bond is not as strong as using straight F2, but is more than adequate for attaching carpet: 3 years on, nothing has come loose.

For thinning I used what was to hand at the time: 2 way paint thinners. The fumes were awful, fortunately I have a good spray mask.
I now see that Ados do a Solvent N for thinning and cleaning. In the next life I'll be using that......

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Be nice to be able to unclip it and clean it. Moths attack the good stuff (Wool).  Nev

Unless its been felted, wool (carpet) will require considerable work to make durable.

You can purchase fire rated (marine grade) artificial "felts"/ non directional weave, that can be cut to whatever shape you want,  with decent scissors/shears, light weight, cost effective, come in a variety of colours and bonus point, font need the Velcro fluffy side to hook on to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

an purchase fire rated (marine grade) artificial "felts"/ non directional weave,

Can you get that in "shag pile". Oh for the return of the Sandman!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

Can you get that in "shag pile". Oh for the return of the Sandman!

OME I have ridden to 13'000ft over Florida in Mr Douglas, a DC3 with tinted windows, 8 track stereo...and yes, shag-pile carpet (though I can't vouch for the fire rating).

Where we all got out.......well, all of us except the pilot.

The jump itself was a shambles: we all had green cyalumes taped to our rigs, but nobody had thought to equip the base (centre jumper of the proposed formation) with something of a different colour. So the sky was full of little green lights, all wandering around trying to figure where to aim themselves, before finally heading off for an empty bit of sky.

But I wouldn't have missed it for worlds.......)

• Like 2

For/Against

My best shot - you may have further observations

Wool;

For

Must be woven into a fabric or felted

Can be treated so as to be relativity stiff - make panels

Excellent fire resistant properties

Excellent sound & temperature  insulation

Against

Expensive and depending on density/thickness, heavy

Attaching to structure likely to be problematic, as best to use mechanical (screws/slots/brackets/etc fixings

Subject to mold/insect attack

Holds moisture for extended period - can get smelly

Synthetic

For

Cheap & light weight

Non directional weave and stiffish texture makes for easy panel shaping

Easy to glue or Velcro in place

Fire rating - fore marine applications - don't know what the implications might be for aircraft use.

Wont hold moisture and molds/insects have little interest in taking up a lease

Fair sound and temperature insulation

Against

Possible fire/fume  implications