Biggest-ever airliner order marks first day of Paris Air Show

European aircraft maker Airbus got the Paris Air Show off to a soaring start on Monday with the announcement of the biggest-ever order for civil aircraft, as the French president joined a big crowd for the event's return after a four-year Covid hiatus.

The 500-plane deal with low-cost Indian carrier IndiGo kicked off what organisers have billed as the "recovery airshow" after the coronavirus ravaged the sector and the biennial trade fair was cancelled in 2021.

Read more here.

Wiki says they only operate 164 of 'em now. 

Even if you assume they're replacing their entire fleet one-for-one, that's still a massive increase in capacity. Makes me wonder how many of them are firm orders vs options and the delivery timeframe.

Boeing must be spitting chips at losing that order, but given their ongoing problems with the Max and deliveries thereof, it's not entirely surprising...

• Like 1

I read where India has placed a similar sized order with Boeing, it's just that Airbus is doing the biggest amount of crowing about the order at present.

I presume the Indians have ordered all 800 seat versions, so they can pack them in, like they do with their trains? :cheezy grin: