Drilling alternate tyre rim valve holes

BillLipson

My Savannah VG came with centrally located tyre rim valve holes. The available tubes all have right angle valves which are offset and when forced to  fit the central rim holes, are placed under a lot of sideways pressure. I am going to drill new offset holes, with a step drill, in each rim. Would appreciate any advice re potential problems that I may encounter?

• Like 1

Bill, I have done that exact job in Azusa alloy wheels, 15mm off centre was enough for me. No problem at all. Countersink slightly to take off any sharp edges.

Probably fill the old holes/half holes with epoxy if you can, araldite, whatever you have.

Moving the hole for the tube valve made the world of difference, Valve finally sits properly, and adding air is no as easy as it's supposed to be.

I say DO IT!

The general problem seems to be that the TR87 style 90 degree valve tubes do not have the valve in the centre, it's offset. Originally, I did originally start with centred 90 deg vlave tubes, but every one bought since then - same brand, same tube - was offset.

It's a far better solution I think to modify the wheel to take the normally available anywhere TR87 tubes.

Edited by 440032
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

Bill, the wheels in the S kit come with the hole in the middle. But ICP supply a plug to close that off, and instructions to drill an offset hole, as you propose.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all the replies. Have got the plugs to fill the central valve holes and will use a step drill to created the offset holes. Practised on an old rim and it woks perfectly.

• Like 1