PPLA Exam - CASR/CAR materials

I'm studying for the PPLA in a few months. 

Have noticed now that the CASR, CAO etc are not available for purchase from the Canprint website anymore. It says only available online through CASA. 

These are several thousand A4 pages all told! 

- Does anyone print all these out to take to the exam? 

- Is the VFRG + ERSA + PCA etc enough for the PPLA?

Use Pilot Practice exams to help you study and their Facebook page as a help tool. Most I found use this for casa exams and get answers though other users.

Ando

1 hour ago, nickc888 said:

Have noticed now that the CASR, CAO etc are not available for purchase from the Canprint website anymore. It says only available online through CASA. 

Most people have now transitioned from wanting to read paper, to reading online.

This has dropped the demand for print massively; CASA is just an example, newspapers are pretty much all read online; you can see who's left by looking at the circulation of the newspaper (print).

I use a combination of online reading where the subject is general or not exam material. I'll usually create a word document for the main link, and save key links to that document. the word document gets a full name, so its searchable.

I've used that system in the thread 'Circuit Issues at Uncontrolled Aerodromes" for the FVRG and CASR documents. As much as they dont want to provide printed material, that's what their indexes work on, but you find the online versions are out of sync from a couple of pages to 20 pages, so I record both which allows you to navigate forward a hundred pages just by typing the online page number. (Don't use the material I supplied for an exam though; you'll be questioned about the whole VFRG/CASR etc.

There are several thousand pages as you say, so that's your task, but a lot of it's explanation. I use cut and paste to a word document for revision, again, indexing the file, so you only have to go through the thousands of pages once and from there you can zip through the indexes where you're weak. Where you don't understand something that's the time to make notes and take them to your Instructor or CFI. Be careful about asking other people, I've seen plenty of advice here that had been superseded in the 1970s, and I've missed a few updates myself.

• Agree 1

By the time you printed everything, some of it would be stale or gone altogether.

Surely exams would allow access to the CASA website for up-to-date document referencing? (I don't know.)

On 20/08/2023 at 3:11 PM, nickc888 said:

Bring everything from 

https://www.casa.gov.au/licences-and-certificates/pilots/pilot-and-flight-crew-exams/pilot-exams/private-pilot-licence-aeroplane-exams#Permittedmaterial

except big law books. School where you will be doing exam can loan all big law books for the exam, but they won't be much useful unless you are a lawyer. Focus on vfrg. Good luck at the exam!

Thanks for the replies so far. Seems from what I'm gathering if I'm completely across the VFRG & Part 91 MOS Plain English that will be enough for PPL. 

One thing I haven't been able to determine is whether you can bring extracts in or not - some people on the Bob Tait forums seem to be doing that, but the CASA "Permitted Materials" isn't really clear on that, except that you can't have anything that is annotated or captioned etc. 

14 minutes ago, nickc888 said:

Thanks for the replies so far. Seems from what I'm gathering if I'm completely across the VFRG & Part 91 MOS Plain English that will be enough for PPL. 

That might be what someone told you but you're being examined on the legislation not what someone said. In a few of the fatalities over the last five years one person was acting as he should but the other wasn't. If you aren't going to read the regulations for the exam, when would you be reading them?

I'm not trying to say I won't be reading the regulations. I will of course be reading as much as possible in my studies and making all the notes I require. 

I'm asking specifically about what people bring into the exam. CASA is clear on what is allowed, but my question is - do people really bring all that with them?