Lane Changes (Williamtown inland VFR route)

Things have changed with the Williamtown Inland Lane.

As I understand it, the south half of the Lane from Dungog

to East Greta/YMND no longer penetrates a Restricted Area

but lies underneath a new Class C space WLM C2  LL2000

The northern half still does (D589 'tunnels' through R584B - UL2500)

Effectively the main change for VFR flights on the south half

seems to be an extra 400' headroom. (up from 1600')

Also, there's a new 2,500 LL above YMND (Maitland).

CLICK FOR FULL REZ:

YWLMINLANDLANE.thumb.jpg.1aa4b8781e029b19b8218a8904426f27.jpg

Williamtown (YWLM) FAC.pdf

a23-h45 (1).pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for that Garfly - I have only done this route once (south to north) - it was horrible!  What should have been a pleasant scenic flight, was marred by strong mechanical turbulence, close proximity of high terrain and unsafe altitude limitations. Returned by a diffrent route.

• Like 1

yeah as I read it , just get a class C transit clearance from  the mil guys and life is much easier, now.  IE you  will be accomodated if at all reasonable and possible, compared to, in the past, the opposite.

• Like 1

As long as you pass under the LL2000 shelf of the WLM C2 (southern half of the Lane) you shouldn't need any clearances.

So it's pretty much as it was for VFR transit, except for another 400' of headroom in the lower part of the route.

And, if you are able (a/c rego and licence) to request clearances, you might be better off asking for the coastal route.

• Like 1

I’ve flown this inland route a number of times. On a nice day, it’s a lovely sightseer. On a rough day, it’s awful. No escape from the turbulence. The extra height in the first section will be good. I’ve only done the coastal route once (with a suitably licensed pilot). It was interesting seeing the sharks swimming near the surfers… 🫣

• Like 3

There can be plenty of sharks there from Swansea to Stockton. I used to do the beach patrol in a C-150 with a radio station jockey and radio on board.   Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 3