flight times needed...

hi guy's i dont have a flight computer yeat or maps (hopefully next week) but i am curious as to the flight times from

ybss to yled bacchus marsh to lethbridge.

cant wait to get my own wizz wheel and maps LOL

Guest J430

its only 18 NM so it will not be long, unless you have an aerochute, and even then its will be about 45 min!

For me the Taxi time totals would be more than the flight time!

Hope you enjoy the trip!:rotary:

J:wave:

hi guy's i dont have a flight computer yeat or maps

Ferret. Go up to the header on this website and punch in the "Planner" section, then enter those codes and your airspeed and viola. No maps or whizz wheels needed for a quick look.

ah thanks guys. it would be a non breezy 50kts as it would be in an xair.

my debacle is i want to build and fly my own aircraft. namely an x-air (cost is a factor) but i also want decent flight times to places i will frequent... well i am off to see how long to narromine :) . yes i am serious...

thank you for all your comments guy's.

Guest J430

I believe there is a really good Xair for sale at Caboolture.

Might be a fresh engine involved too, but not sure.

J:thumb_up:

thanks for the heads up on the x-air...but i want a new aircraft. i am paranoid about 2nd hand aircraft....

can anyone give me feedback on the x-air people in sydney.. i recieved an email saying not to pay any money untill the aircraft has been given to me in person as he has ripped people off before ? is this true....

what options do we have out there for glass cockpits ? i am aware of dynon and skydat... are there anymore ?

i used the calculator at the top of the page and know its gonna be a cold 15 tores to naromine LOL

Ferret

If I were you I would deal direct with Xair Aust on the Gold Coast, who are the importer.

Don't worry too much about flight time. The more time you have in the air should equate to the more fun you are having. The journey is the fun(est) part in this caper.

I looked at the Xair a couple of years ago and at that time they made a flapped version that went a little faster (70 knots cruise rings a bell), which I thought looked good with a J2200 in the front, but you'd need to check whether that is still available.

There were a number of Xairs at Narromine this year and every time I saw them they all had smiles on their dials.

Regards Geoff

Ferret. Go up to the header on this website and punch in the "Planner" section, then enter those codes and your airspeed and viola. No maps or whizz wheels needed for a quick look.

Awwwww..... takes all the fun out of it.....

Drawing the lines on the maps, working out the distances, and bearings... whizzing up the flight times and fuel on the wheel.... ;)

Ben

Good stuff Ferret,

I find like Neil, that drawing the lines on a real map, will give you a better mental picture of the route.

Also, I found the Wizz Wheel a bit easier to use than my flight computer.. besides, there are no batteries to conk out at the crucial moment keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Ben

• 2 months later...
Guest Howard Hughes
what are you in trusty thruster or plastic fantastic carbon fibbre or bouncy balloon neil

its only 18 NM so it will not be long, unless you have an aerochute, and even then its will be about 45 min!

Only about 4 minutes for my beast overhead to overhead, but then again I don't get down that way often! Recently made it to YBLT though on a beautiful CAVOK day only to find nobody in the circuit, couldn't believe my eyes...;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tezza

There is another way of doing it to, jump on to google earth and you can actually see both Bacchus Marsh and Lethbridge airfields quite clearly,( well bacchus is under cloud but you can still make out the runways) then use the ruler function to measure the distance in any units you want. and you get to see visually what the route looks like. And by the way if you use the Planner Program in the menu up top you would end up over the Lethbridge township and not at the Lethbridge airpark which is about 3.3 nm NW of the town.

I always has a look at my flight routes on google earth , it really helps you get a good visual picture of what you are looking for , especially when you fly somewhere you havent been before.

I did all my PPL training at Bacchus. Good people there at TVSA, and a nice area to fly around.

Terry

Note that all the Google Earth Airstrips are right here in the forums - click on Airstrips that is on the left of the forum menu - you can also add any information about the strip as well.

Guest tezza
Bacchus Marsh is a pretty active glider area. Most pilots I know avoid it ( I do )particularly the hills to the west, or keep a very good look out. Nev..

True, I must admit in my early training I felt a bit unnerved by the gliders but I got used to it. And the gliders will rarely be out during the week.

terry

Guest tezza
Note that all the Google Earth Airstrips are right here in the forums - click on Airstrips that is on the left of the forum menu - you can also add any information about the strip as well.

thanks for that Ian, very useful. Are you the "owner " of the Planner program? if so you might want to fix up the coordinates for Lethbridge, particularly seeing as it seems to be the mecca for RAA down this way.

actual coords are

S 37 deg 55.1 mins

E 144 deg 6.1 mins

cheers

terry

thanks for that Ian, very useful. Are you the "owner " of the Planner program? if so you might want to fix up the coordinates for Lethbridge, particularly seeing as it seems to be the mecca for RAA down this way. actual coords are

S 37 deg 55.1 mins

E 144 deg 6.1 mins

cheers

terry

Terry, I think you may have an argument on that by the people at places like Shepparton, Tyabb, Tooradin etc 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Were you referring to the lat/long of the planner or the Google Earth Airstrips as it was a little out in the airstrips - fixed now however you or any forum member can edit an airstrip or even add any new ones.

Guest tezza

Ian, the Lethbridge coords are OK in the google airstrips list , it is the planner that is out by 3.4 nm which is a fair bit in my reckoning. I cant see how to edit the planner coords, am I missing something?

I'll reword my statement and say Lethbridge is the Mecca of RAA in the Western Districts, as the other places you mentioned are quite aways from Geelong where I live.

(I' ll prolly get an argument from Ballarat now ! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif )

I've flown into the famous Lethbridge Saturday Lunch 3 times now, including the toy run and antique aircraft fly in last year, great bunch of people and more ultralights than I have ever seen in one place, except the old Mangalore airshows I used to go to at Easter when I was a youngen.

Terry