harley davidson zodiac

I was goint to post a message asking if anyone knew or heard of plane being fitted with a harley engine, thought if it wasnt taken serious one might have got a laugh out of it !036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Well after reading ianrat's post then looking at zodiacs site I came across a couple of youtube vids.

They have the h/p, torque, low revs and I believe might be lighter than most conventional engines, and I know from experience that the new twin cams will go the distance. Dual ignition may be a problem ( and I wouldnt leave the ground without it ) but i'm sure that can be sorted. Wonder how one will go in a Jab? prolly have to chuck a couple of sandbags in with it lol. HELL IT SURE WOULD SOUND NICE .

Does anyone else know of any other foreign engines the have been used succesfully in aircrafts.

steve

The Yamaha Virago V engine was put in a Nieuport years ago and tha Honda engine from the Gold Wing has been used complete with an intact 2nd gear.

Guest Rufus

Steve, Check out Skyray industries. Website www.skyray.us .

These conversions only became possible with the introduction of Harleys 88B balanced motor.

I ride a 2002 Harley with the 88B motor, around 95 thousand kilometers, & is a really superb motor. Doesn't miss a beat. Very reliable, much more reliable than German & Japanese motor bike motors.( Honda Goldwings are made in U.S. ) I bought my bike from a Harley Davidson/B.M.W. dealer. I asked him about reliability. He took me out to his workshop where nine bikes were being serviced, six B.M.W. for warranty repairs, three Harleys having accessories fitted, no repairs.

Been to Perth, Darwin, Heck Field, all over Australia.

Roger Mac

Hi Rufus, thanks for the site its very interesting. I have had Harleys for a long time and how does one educate people on how good these twin cam engines really are, especially compared to the evos and shovels etc. from previous years. Mine ( also a 88B ) has done well over 100 thou, most of it was back in the US with my wife on pillion and pulling a trailer. I still give it a HUGE squirt when I'm out with the boys and dont pussyfoot around, change the oil around 25 thou, (norty norty I know) but have never had a problem or even a plug out of it. The last trip we done in the US was last year, 42 thou ks in 3 months, carried a 375ml coke bottle of engine oil (as I thought the synthetic oil I use was as hard to get there as it is here) and brought it back home with us. Anyone would think this is a Harley site the way I'm rambling on so enough is enough, the bike will now sit in the lounge keeping warm while I make room in the shed to build a Jabiru kit plane. At this stage its a Jab but I need to get my licence first and try some other planes out.

Steve

Guest Rufus

I'm sorry Danda, but I don't think hog air ever were a division of Harley.I believe they had to change their name because Harlley owns the Harley Owners Group ( H.O.G.)

Steve, it's a fact, if you have to explain "Harley" to people, they will never understand.

Truth is, they have the makings of a great aircraft motor.

Will you be at Heck Field on Sunday? If so call me, & I'll show you a great aircraft, & I just happen to know of a Kit for sale. Call me on 0412 724169

Roger Mac

Cant make it there on sunday Roger, I spent last week in that neck of the woods and am unable to get any more time off work. BUGGARIT!!!

Anyway I would like to know more about the kit you mentioned, although I wont be able to purchase anything till later in the year.

BTW skyray or air hog as it was called has been forced to close completely due to a certain unamed company. They proberly didnt want chaps looking for a h****y in the sky and falling off their bikes haha!

Steve

Guest dracer

after working on harleys for years i can say, they would be no good as aircraft engines, nor would a honda, motorcycle engines are mass produced pieces of junk, so dont think for a second because you lawyer boys own a 40k harley its the best money can buy, because its not!!! after all give me a tube, a piston, crank, some spark and fuel then anyone can build a noisy engine.

subaru engines are almost the same just ask anyone, some owners LOVE them, yer ok its been fully rebulit, shot peened, different crank, machined heads, pretty much everything is new and 80% better, so how could u say its a subaru? same block?

Fair enough mate that is only YOUR opinion, which your entitled to. Most of us are not lawyers, I myself am a Mack diesel mechanic so I do have a good understanding of engines.

bit of trivia for ya

Harleys are the ONLY vehicles in the world which dont loose value, ask any insurance company. Not bad for a noisy piece of junk.

Guest Rufus

Harley DavidsonZodiac

For steve L & others interested in Fly-ins.

Mother Nature made a mess of the Heck Field Fly-in, & it had to be postponed to Sat. June 14. Come one, come all, Saturday will dawn with Great flying weather. I wonder, will it help if I keep repeating that.

Roger Mac

comment/ Vtwin..

Your point, dracer is very pertinent. It is very easy to think that these engines will transplant to an aircraft, but they rarely succeed. They are built for a different purpose to a different standard. ( horses for courses ). A race-horse doesn't pull a dray, a Clydesdale does. You might get one to work in a way, but how can it logically do the job of a purpose built (and designed) engine. I have no doubt that Harley- Davidson could build a good engine for an aeroplane, if they wanted to. I would be surprised if it would look much like the bike engine if they did.

INDIAN ( that other bike company in america ) built an aero engine, but it was a side- valve flat -four built under licence.

......There were contests held in the states in the late 20's for the best motorcycle engine powered small plane ,

.....The Heath Henderson ( an in-line aircooled four) won easily. Many versions of it were produced , including some with overhead valve configuration versions with deep oil sumps developed for aircraft use. (just a bit of useless information ) Nev..

Guest dracer

im sorry for seeming arrogant in my previous responce, i think tiredness had got to me...

my knowledge of airplanes is limited but growing, my knowledge of piston engines is far greater.

bp