AMPHIBIANS

Very nice amphibian. At that price with shipping and GST it would put it up around the AU$160000 mark. OUCH!

They either want to make a quick fortune or go to the wall very quickly. It would be out of the reach for the large majority of pilots.

Graeme

Guest brentc

Sorry Neil, I didn't think of the Storch as a 'real' aircraft 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

I classify a real aircraft as one that I might be able to get my Girlfriend into for a flight and she turned her nose up at the Storch!

Now this is up my neck of the woods! Float flying is some of the best flying out there. I've been flying floats for a living for the last 3 years from Cessna's to Beavers and having a ball. The regs on boat licences change from state to state. WA and QLD does not require a boat licence. NSW and VIC do require just a req boat licence which is not hard to get. You are required to obey all boat regs while on the water although aircraft are considered to have limited manourverablitly and so have right of way over most boats although most boaties don't know this and can be a real handfull like trying to race you on a take off run and other fun games like screaming past you while your sitting on the beach and causing the ancore to drag and your plane to sail off without you - all in a days work!

The up keep of float planes harder but with a good wash down and some inox at the end of the day they will last just as long as wheeled aircraft (look at the beavers they are going on 50 years old)

I was talking to Tony (TOSG) about putting a Thruster on floats not to long ago and believe it can be done (with some cooperation from the RAA) and think it would be a good aircraft on floats with a high lift wing the engine up the front and well out of the spray but alas as most of us funds do not permit at the moment but one day I will get around to it. It won't be a touring aircraft but it would be good fun.

Adam

Guest Crezzi
I was talking to Tony (TOSG) about putting a Thruster on floats not to long ago and believe it can be done (with some cooperation from the RAA) and think it would be a good aircraft on floats with a high lift wing the engine up the front and well out of the spray but alas as most of us funds do not permit at the moment but one day I will get around to it. It won't be a touring aircraft but it would be good fun. Adam

There was a Hirth powered Thruster on floats in the UK some years ago. I got to fly it from the PFA flyin back to the UK factory. Unfortunately, since neither place had a lake, we had to take the floats off & put the wheels back on first. IIRC the intention was to operate it off a river in Northern Ireland but I never heard what happened to the project.

I think I still have a few photo of it somewhere

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

There are quite a few SkyRangers on floats in the USA. You can check them out at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skyranger/ and search for floats. There are two main options for floats. Full Lotus Floats are popular, (http://www.full-lotus.com/index_new.html) but most seem to go for Puddlejumper amphibian floats: http://www.puddlejumper.com/eindex.html

If you chat with Patrick he can suggest which planes they have found the best suited to float flying. There are all different types including: Challengers, Jabirus (they call them a Calypso there), Titan Tornados, etc. When I last spoke to Patrick he suggested that the Jab is very good because it can cruise at a fast speed (over 100Knts)and is composite in construction (good for salt water), however he said they need a fair bit of room as it takes a while to get off the water. Canadians seem to go for Challengers and Americans like the Skyrangers. The latter is favoured due to its low empty weight (my is only 251 kgs) and ability to get off the water quickly. I would think that the Savannah or Foxbat would have similar abilities in that regard.

Apparently they have a competition in Nth America every year to determine which plane can get up the quickest and in the shortest distance...landing is also rated. :)

Hope this helps

gav

PS: NZ has a Bantam on 14 foot puddlejumpers that seems to go well.

PSS: if you have a trike endorsement than there is a trike/boat out called the Ramphos, which looks interesting (http://www.ramphos.com/e/home.html)

• 2 months later...

Hi Farri, (Frank)

I would like to thank you for the information on Bill Starke and his Sea Eagle amphibian.

I contacted his wife and had long discussions with her and I am pleased to tell you we now have the design and manufacturing rights to Bills Sea Eagle and we intend to put it into production as a kit.

Even though bill flew the Sea Eagle before he passed away, he never got to see it progress to the next step. Our plan is to take his dream to the next step and start production.

Bill's wife, Rose will not take part in any of the production, but will benifit from royalties with thesale of the kits. She is very keen to see Bill's ultimate dream take flight, hopefully across the world.

I've attached some photo's of the Sea Eagle to show the members what Bill had achieved, as there were very few details about it.

456688827_Amphibian-SeaEagle4b.jpg.659c426e3e2a11e1f6af7a6d46b420b1.jpg

99712542_Amphibian-SeaEagle1a.jpg.7daf8fdb66917ffade1d25857a0f59ad.jpg

280210628_Amphibian-SeaEagle3b.jpg.dd046a21d8db6e5df901c6e923663e59.jpg

Thats a pretty tricky question. If you are using it for private use and not going in and out of there everyday you can almost use anywhere. In saying that if you plan on using it a fair bit you need to find out who runs the waterways in that area and ask permission. Even if you get permission to use the water is not always that easy. You need to have approach and take off area's clear of obsticals and with enough water depth. You then need somewhere to be able to park either a mooring where you will then need a boat to pick you up (unless your keen for a swim!) or a dock where you will find most a suitable for boats and have bloody big poles in the way so you can get to them! Beachs are easy aslong as there are no big rocks or coral to put a nice hole in you floats!

In saying that it is the most challanging flying I have everdone and I love it every time I go somewhere new. The runway is never the same the wind is always different and there is always a boat/swell/swimmer/log where you'd least expect it! You could say I'm hooked if only they paid the same as the Jets!!

Adam.

I was thinking it would be nice so taht when my father takes his family out on the boat to surfers, coult just fly down, meet them down there for lunch then fly back.

Still a long way off for me, was just interested since the subject came up.

Thats what dreams are for! One thing I should mention though is that just because there is water doesn't mean you can land. RAA float planes and even up to the size of Cessna 206's and such are restricted to pretty calm water (less than 0.5 m waves) even Beavers and Caravans don't like much more than that. A twin otter on the other hand!

• 3 years later...
Always interested. I've flown a mates Searay in Qld. (since written off in water landing accident!) First it takes about three hours of washing and spraying with Inox after operating in sea water. Our Qld water has an extra high saline rating, so I think you should go composite. To operate inside present RAAus weights and the sort of engine that's light enough, you wind up with a high aspect glider like wing to get the darn thing off the water, not really ideal for cross country work. Saw the Aeroprat at Oshkosh last year looks like a good formula but it's metal and far to heavy for RAAus. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Hi,

Interested to read you flew a searey... Didn't seem you were that impressed??

I'm keen on getting one, so was interested in your opinion.

Regards

Mark

Our local Petrel is now flying and after a flight in it last weekend I can say that it is great fun. I didn't get to land it on the water, or land, but Dick did 2 landings on an estuary and made it look so simple. I did find the controls in the air to be heavy and a bit sluggish, but I am comparing it to one of the best pilots planes. Dick is trying to get permission to land on our local water supply dam, which is not controlled by Queensland Water, but I doubt that they will come to the party as it takes amile of paperwork to get permission to do a bushwalk on their land. We are lucky that there are plenty of saltwater areas which can be used, but i believe SE Qld people are very frustrated.

This has probably been asked before but; " With all the waterways, lakes, dams, river systems and oceans in and around Australia, Why aren't pilots going for a dual purpose aircraft like amphibians rather than being confined to land based aircraft".

At least with amphibians you have two choices of landing surface and a vast array of exploration possibilities throughout our great country.

Imagine, a group of amphibians flying to some inland lake/s in Qld for a week of camping and Barra fishing.

I would like to have an amphibian aircraft in the next 2 years and do a lot of sight seeing/camping trips around Aus and in particular the lakes in the mountains of Tasmania and throw a line for some trout.

It is amazing that we have a far better climate than Canada (sunshine especially), but unlike them, we have very few amphibians.

I'd like to hear your comments.

Graeme

Graeme,

Yours is an old post, but, he'll yeah... I can't see anything better than an amphib....

Just look at the vids on utube...

Regards

Mark

Amphibians are attractive as a concept, and quite romantic, but in reality they are compromised. You have to have retractable gear, they are a bit heavier and draggy. The engine has to be high up so the tail has a larger than normal downforce in flight. Once the engine is stopped it drifts just the way you don't want it to, you can hit logs, debris , waterbirds, ( and some of them are BIG) and I wouldn't operate one off salt water, because of corrosion. hard to get off a calm surface and horrible to land in a swell. I would love to fly one, but not own it.

Read The book on Frigate Bird II (PG Taylor). I saw it being prepared at Rathmines for the flight to Chile. Think it is in the Scienceworks Museum now. I virtually grew up opposite the ramp at Rathmines so Catalina's etc make me feel all funny..Nev

Used to carry the banner for the Catalina squadron in brisbane anzac day services each year. Since then I have had a love of amphibians. It breaks my heart to think how expensive they are, especially since all of the above is a deal breaker for me (yeah thanks nev 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif ).

Well that plus it's damn near impossible to get endorsed for one.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...

Hi does anyone remember or have details on the amphibian designed by two Sydney university lecturers in the 1980's?  It was a two seater with a full fuselage (Teal style) and a unique engine layout. The aircraft engine was mid-mounted inside the fuselage and the twin propellers were mounted on pylons behind the main wing. The propellers were belt driven by 4-5 inch wide belts. I can only find a tiny promo photo of it. I'd love to get some information on it.

thanks

Graham

twin prop from sydney university.bmp

It probably went the same way as the Dornier S-Ray 007?  Looks great, but the practicalities are non-existent, and Dornier is only repeating earlier design mistakes. He's only ever produced a couple of prototypes.

http://iren-dornier.com/en/aircraft/iren-s-ray007.html

http://do-24.com/index.php?s-ray-007

http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acdata_php/acdata_dornier_sray007_en.php

Edited by onetrack

The attraction of an amphib is  easy to have but they do have many serious limitations and issues. They don't like mirror smooth water or swells and drift hopelessly when the motor(s) are shut down usually into deeper water.. Any sort of dense floating object can damage the hull and wing floats cause wild directional changes if they dig in.. Water is quite hard at landing speeds  They don't cruise at very high speeds.

Growing up opposite Rathmines Catalina base on Kilaben Bay made me a hopeless devotee. I saw P G Taylors PBY get fully refurbished there which went via Easter Island to Chile and the book makes interesting reading. The plane is now in the museum at Darling Harbour. Nev

• Like 2
  • Informative 1