Registration for NAIPS for RAAus aircraft

moz

Folks,

just wondering if anyone can assist on info on filing flightplans through NAIPS for flights in RAAus registered aircraft. I've used the system many times before for GA registered aicraft etc, however I'm unsure of what rego to input for RAAus registered aircraft.

Eg for aircraft 55-9999 would you input 559999 or 9999 in the rego field?

My thinking is that you would input 559999 into the rego field and then in field 18 you input /rmk callsign jabiru9999 etc, but I'm not sure if this is correct.

I've looked in the AIP, RAAus & Airservices websites etc but can't see anything.

Can anyone assist?

Hi Moz,

You don't need the prefix numbers (55, 24 etc.) in the rego, just the 4 digits. For aircraft type use ULAC and as you've suggested use the remarks field for callsign. This is what we used to do when operating at Canberra in the Sportstar and was based on advice from Kaz's controller friends at Airservices.

Cheers,

Matt.

hmmm... it never likes it when i try to put in a 4 dig number... it only accepts 244785 for instance.. then when you call up to amend the plan or cancel sar you need to say 244785, saying 4785 wont do it, they'll say there not holding a plan for you..

cheers

You don't need the prefix numbers (55, 24 etc.) in the rego, just the 4 digits. For aircraft type use ULAC and as you've suggested use the remarks field for callsign.

Thanks Matt thats great. I've just looked at the Aircraft type designators through the Airservices website and "ULAC" is an approved ICAO special type designator...

Cheers

Guest airsick
Thanks Matt thats great. I've just looked at the Aircraft type designators through the Airservices website and "ULAC" is an approved ICAO special type designator...Cheers

It is also worth noting that some ultralights have their own ICAO designators. If I lodge a plan for the Pipistrel Virus for example I can use ULAC or PIVI. For a Sportstar it is EVSS, for the sting it is TL20, and so it goes. This said, I would recommend using the designator for your particular aircraft if one exists.

If I crash I'd much rather them be looking for a Pipistrel Virus instead of an ultralight aircraft by 'any manufacturer'. If all they have to go off is a flight plan then it might just pay to include as much info as possible.

You can look up the correct designator for your aircraft here - http://www.icao.int/anb/ais/8643/index.cfm

Cheers,

AS

Word of warning though with ICAO designators - just because ICAO has designated them, doesn't mean the Airservices TAATS system knows about them. This is the issue we had with the Sportstar, while EVSS is the ICAO designator, TAATS doesn't know about it and won't accept it...well, it didn't 14 months ago at least. I would definitely recommend using the remark field with "Callsign AIRCRAFT TYPE & ####" as you can be sure that even if TAATS knows the ICAO code, most controllers won't - hence the advice to us to use ULAC as aircraft type and callsign designator...makes life easier for all involved.

Cheers,

Matt.

G'day,

DTG stands for date time group. six digits, so the first 2 are the date (day of the month) the next four are the time. So the dtg now would be 252130 z. Z stands for Zulu time.Remeber on east coast of aus we are 10 hours ahead of GMT.

For long trips yous should log a sartime, its on the flight plan form on naips.

Don't forget to cancel your sarwatch either in the air or on the phone after landing.

SAR stands for search and rescue. So if you don't cancel sar air services will try to contact you, if they can't then they will launch a search and rescue mission over your planned route.

Always leave at least an hour up your sleave, so if your due to arrive at 1200, don't make your sartime 1200, make it 1300.

Its good airmenship to always at least log a sartime if your flying away from your airfield. Even if you don't log a flightplan.

Hope this helps..

cheers

So the dtg now would be 252130 z. Z stands for Zulu time.Remeber on east coast of aus we are 10 hours ahead of GMT.

Except that would have been 250130Z at 11:30 this morning EST.

Just pointing that out to avoid confusion.

Another example, at 08:00 EST this morning, the DTG would have been 242200Z.

On our weather page we have 2 clocks. One shows your local time and the other shows UTC. Check it out (I coded that 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif).

Cheers,

Ross

Hey Motz, open http://www.icao.int/anb/ais/8643/index.cfm, type JABIRU (I'll wash out my mouth later 091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif) in the "manufacturer" box (leave the others blank) and click on "Search" ... you'll see the designators for all Jabirus. The J160 is JAB2.

For my fellow CT pilots (real CTs that is ... sorry Matt & Kaz 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif) your type designator is FDCT.

I always use NAIPS and log a detailed Domestic flight plan, sometimes scheduling more than one stage. In fact, for regular flight routes I have preformed flight plans saved in my NAIPS folder making it much quicker to complete and send.

Re SAR, from my experience they are extremely prompt at making contact if you don't cancel before your logged time ticks by. I always log my sartime as 15 mins beyond planned ETA making sure to adjust this through Flightwatch while in flight, if necessary. On one of my flights to Wallsend, I did just that. My original plan with sartime was for arrival at 0015Z. Shortly after departing Cooma, late, I contacted Flightwatch to amend sartime to 0045 allowing 15 mins margin on my new ETA of 1030 local.

I landed and shut down at 1025 and immediately heard the mobile burst into life.

"Hello?"

"It's CENSAR here. We've been trying to reach you for the past 10 mins. You have a sartime of 0015. Unable to reach your mobile we called the RA-Aus office to get your home number and spoke with your wife to see if she had a contact number for your destination. We were just about to launch a search. Are you safe?"

"But, but!! I amended that with flightwatch to 0045???"

"You did? It still shows as 0015 on our system. Happens sometimes. Glad you're OK. Bye".

You can imagine my next few hurried calls to an anxious wife and inquisitive RA-Aus CEO 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif.

Another time, I had landed and shut down right on sartime. Unable to make radio contact in circuit I straighway reached for my mobile. Before I could get it out of my pocket it went off with CENSAR looking for me, right on the knocker of sartime.

The system works (CENSAR that is, not sure about flightwatch) ... use it.

Paul

• 2 years later...
Guest Dick Gower

Have a look at the flight planning section in the on-line version of the VFR Flight Guide Tango.

It is not a bad introduction to using NAIPS.

I suggest that you register with NAIPS (very simple) then train yourself using the tail number NOSEND which is provided for this very purpose.