Flying over built up areas

Got My RA-Aus magazine yesterday and spent some time exploring the CD, including the Operations Manual and the VFR guide.

Lots and lots of information, some very useful and some that will never apply to my basic local flying but I couldn't find a definitive answer to a question I asked two experienced pilots and that got me two differing answers.

I was under the impression that the lowest we could fly in an ultralight ( a trike in my case), except for take-off/landing or with the landowner's permission, was 500' agl and that we were not allowed to overfly built up areas.

Built up areas being the yellow bits on the charts or areas were there are street lights.

First , before some of you start yelling at me, I want to reassure you that I never have done low level passes over my country town and no intention to do so in the future !

I just want to be directed to a current document that clearly states where the legal limit lies for this type of activity.

I am just too dumb to find this by myself amongst the mountain of information that hit me.

Thanks for your help.

Arnaud

As per CAO 95-32 - Exemptions from CAR1988 for Weight Shift & Powered Parachutes: http://www.casa.gov.au/download/orders/cao95/9532.pdf

(i) an aeroplane to which paragraph 1.2 applies, or an aeroplane that was

wholly assembled by a commercial manufacturer to which paragraph 1.1

applies, must not be flown over a built-up area at a height:

(A) that is lower than 1 000 feet above ground level; and

(B) from which it cannot glide clear of all dwellings, buildings and

persons within the built-up area;

(ia) an aeroplane to which paragraph 1.3 applies, or an aeroplane that was

assembled from a kit supplied by a commercial manufacturer to which

paragraph 1.1 applies, must not be flown over a built-up area:

(A) unless CASA or an authorised person has approved it; and

(B) at a height lower than 1 000 feet above ground level; and

© at a height from which it cannot glide clear of all dwellings,

buildings and persons within the built-up area;

Your instructor should have covered this with you....

But its 500ft AGL over non built up areas, and 1500 for a built up area.

As far as I know, CASA's VFG applies to every pilot, and its all in there on page 30

The other biggie is the circuit. Make sure you fly by the rules and you will reduce the possibility of conflict. (p239)

HTH

Ben

*This is from the current VFG*

Guest brentc

Matt's got it in one, nothing like referring to the regs!

The trick is the ability to glide clear of the dwellings, which may prove more difficult in your aircraft type given it's gliding ability, so what might be 1,000ft in a Jabiru, might be 1,800 ft for you to be sensible.

I'm interested in the VFG's 1,500 ft. My memory was telling me 1,000ft and I've been doing that for ages and that's what our regs say.

I'm waiting on some informed information on this please. :thumb_up:

Not sure if its the same as the electronic version of the VFG on the CD recently received, but my printed version of the VFG (Version 2, July 2007) has a min height required of 1000ft above built up areas on pp 29/30.

Cheers

Remember that the VFG is just that...a "guide", CAR and CAO are law. 1500' or higher may make sense for certain aircraft types that don't glide so well...the CT4 being one of those...which for trivia purposes has the same glide profile as a Mirage...and a brick 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest airsick

I think it is a typo from Ben, my copy says 1000ft.

I am with Matt and Brent - look in the regs! Even if it is a typo in the VFG (which it isn't, at least in mine) we can't rely on it. It is a guide only and if in doubt we should always refer to the underlying legislation, Act, rules, etc. In this case it is CAR 157:

157 Low flying

(1) The pilot in command of an aircraft must not fly the aircraft over:

(a) any city, town or populous area, at a height lower than 1000 feet;

or

(b) any other area at a height lower than 500 feet.

CAOs 95.10, 95.32 and 95.55 grant an exemption from CAR 157 and restate the rules with slightly different wording but in general they have the same meaning. The exceptions are:

1. If your aircraft is 95.10 then you can't fly over a city or town (95.10 5.1i).

2. If your aircraft is 95.32 and kit built then you need CASA authoristaion to fly over built up areas but even then you can't do it below 1000ft AGL. If it isn't kit built you can do it but again, not under 1000ft AGL. (See Matts post above).

3. If your aircraft is 95.55 it can be flown over built up areas at a height not less than 1000ft AGL (95.55 5.1i).

Even if the VFG is correct it is important to note that the type of aircraft you fly may have exemptions from the material that the VFG references so it may not apply to you. A good example is the 95.32 kit built. If you simply relied on the VFG you could very well be flying illegally.

In a nutshell it depends on your aircraft type but in any case you can never fly over a built up area at a height below 1000ft AGL. (Unless of course you have prior permission from CASA).

Guest brentc
In a nutshell it depends on your aircraft type but in any case you can never fly over a built up area at a height below 1000ft AGL. (Unless of course you have prior permission from CASA).

Or if you are taking off or landing ;)

So we've got that one sorted out...What about "built up area"; is "yellow patches on the maps or street lights " the defining factor ?

dwellings, buildings and persons would appear to be the defining factor seeing as how you have to be able to glide clear of them.

Otherwise good luck finding a definitive answer.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=legal+definition+of+%22built+up+area%22+%2B+aviation&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryAU

Cheers!

Guest bigblockford545

Unpopulated = 500 ft AGL

Populated = 1000 ft AGL

Fly Neighbourly = 2000 ft AGL around Moorabbin anyhow.

Have fun

Simon

Guest brentc

Whilst your looking at maps, see if you can work out what the purple patches mean on the VTC. It's moderately tricky.

Guest bigblockford545
Chunks of dirt that get in your way if you're sneaking around under the steps.

I read the legend, less than 500ft between the terrain and the start of controlled airspace. So the above is true and correct lol

have fun

Simon

The FFPLUM (the French equivalent of RA-Au ) publishes a neat little booklet with almost everything an ultralight pilot kneeds to know to fly safely.

You can find it on www.ffplum.com.

On page 19 the minimum height requirements are listed and, as usual, the French do things differently:

Outside built up areas and/or gathering of people: 150m/500ft (all AGL)

Free standing factory, Industrial complex,Hospital , above or alongside Freeways: 300m/1000ft

Built up area not wider than 1,200m, gatherings of people or animals (beach, stadium, race course...): 500m/1,650ft

Cities between 1,200m and 3,600m wide, gatherings of more than 10,000 people (Tour de France ? Protest Marches ?): 1,000m/3330ft

Cities wider than 3,600m, gatherings of more than 100,000 people (Political Marches ? Public Servant Demonstrations?), certain buildings with a distinctive interdiction sign painted on the roof (I imagine things like Prisons and Nuclear Powerplants): 1,500m/5000ft

Overflying Paris is prohibited since 20/01/1948, but if your aircraft is a Mirage and the engine emits blue, white or red smoke (NOT black) and it happens to be the 14th of July, then you'll probably get away with it !