Mudgee Avgas Bowser Closed from Today

Guest Michael Coates

Guest Michael Coates

Mudgee has always been a very convenient fuel stop for a large number of pilots over the years.

Well As of 9am today 12th November the BP bowser has been decommissioned and Avgas is no longer available.

This along with the withdrawal of REX from the Mudgee Route (which has shown 19% groth over the past 3 years ???) means Bateco and his mates are going to have the run of the place to themselves (Until the council decide that they can sell it off for wineries or real estate etc...)

Another great aviation asset GONE !

Called in on our way to Tooraweenah on the October long weekend to refuel a Comper Swift which would not have made it to Tooraweenah if the pump had not been available. We will end up with large gaps in the countryside where you cannot go due to lack of fuel!

Shell Tell Shell

BP Global

complaints depts

your local MP will also pass your complaint onto the Dept of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Govt. Our old mate Hon Anthony Albanese will fix it:confused:

How can the country develope and grow when this goes on.

Guest Michael Coates
Will have to be Scone instead, boys.049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

The problem with going to Scone is it is in the lower Hunter Valley and quite often affected by weather conditions which are not affecting Mudgee. E.g. the weather is usually questionable at Scone because of its proximity to the coast and the mountains but it is clear at Mudgee. This is one of the reasons why the browser was so heavily utilised.

What I really don't understand is that they spent many thousands of dollars only a few years ago bringing the bowser up to the latest high-tech standards by replacing everything including the bowser shelter which would have cost several thousand dollars on its own, the pumps and other parts.... they probably spent $100,000 on upgrading the facility.

Here is an opportunity to Mudgee Council to step in and run the fuel depot themselves. Replace the BP system with a simple system which uses credit card and is available to anybody like they do in the US and move on with life.

We are approaching fire season and Mudgee is a major depot to the National Parks and Wildlife Service for fire protection and prevention with several hundred sorties being flown every fire season by both fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft.

With the removal of the avgas service firefighting aircraft are now going to have to do make other arrangements to get fuel and this means the closest other facility is Dubbo, Bathurst or Scone all of which are at least one hour away.

Last time I was at Scone I was very thankful to the aero club there who fuelled me up from drums they had in their hangar (prem unleaded).

The last time I was at Mudgee I had to wait 3hrs for someone who worked at the council to come out and fuel me up as they could only come out during their lunch break

Today i recieved an email conformation to my enquiery as to Air BP's withdrawal from Mudgee. In my return Email I have invited Air BP's Represenative, Sean Lyons, to join us here at Rec, Flyers to explain to us all first hand as to why they have closed this facility..

Ozzie

Guest Elk McPherson

G'day Michael

With the removal of the avgas service firefighting aircraft are now going to have to do make other arrangements to get fuel and this means the closest other facility is Dubbo, Bathurst or Scone all of which are at least one hour away.

Two small points:

1/. All firefighting aircraft are turbine powered these days; and

2/. YSCO-MDG is 69 nm. AT 802 has a dash speed on 170 kts - about 20 minutes.

That said ... thank you for speaking to BP and posting the results here - well done - and a good result 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

"There is also accommodation very close to the airport (in fact it shares the same boundary fence) owned by a current RAA aircraft owner and he could also use your support."

Hey Michael - Do you have more info on the contact here? Website?

Thanks