Forced landing record??

motzartmerv

Yes it's amazing how far we've come, although I was reading CASA's incident reports a while back and they seemed to be dominated by Dash 8 traffic matters.

I'm reading Jimmy Doolittle's autobiography (bought it on Amazon - see thread "Books for reading over the xmas break") and was staggered to read the report he wrote in 1941 after a visit to the UK which had been at war since 1939:

"The British wrote off 30 per cent of their planes every six months. Half of the losses were due to crashes, not combat."

Yes it's amazing how far we've come, although I was reading CASA's incident reports a while back and they seemed to be dominated by Dash 8 traffic matters.I'm reading Jimmy Doolittle's autobiography (bought it on Amazon - see thread "Books for reading over the xmas break") and was staggered to read the report he wrote in 1941 after a visit to the UK which had been at war since 1939:

"The British wrote off 30 per cent of their planes every six months. Half of the losses were due to crashes, not combat."

I'm sure the percentage was higher for the yanks, when you stick kids with a couple of hundred hours into machinery like Spits I spose it had to happen.

A lot of those kids had less than a hundred hours and were used to landing straight into wind in large paddocks. The 14ft fan torque and narrow undercart would have been a handfull for a novice, add a runway with a crosswind with amunition on board and you've got adrenalin. The germans had the same problem with the 109. The mustang with the wider undercarraige solved that problem.

There is even a forum with this thread here.

German loses of their two front line fighters;

Me 109: 9681 losses to enemy action, 8791 other losses - 47.6% of the losses are without enemy action

Fw 190: 5389 losses to enemy action, 4934 other losses - 48.8% of the losses are without enemy action