Wings Over Illawarra

Thruster87

• 1 month later...

What's the buzz on this?

What is the latest on forum members planning to attend this on Sunday?

Their website is hopeless and it describes this as a Fly-In but also mentions a display by the Roulettes, so I assume we need to keep out of the way for that, but no times or slots are mentioned. Does anyone know more?

Regards Geoff

Captain Geoff,

This is the latest info I have.

Regards,

Bruce Robbins (Illawarra Recreational Flight Centre)

===========================

Additional operational information regarding Wings Over Illawarra

Sunday

22FEB09 at YWOL

This information will be published in a NOTAM closer to the day, but

is being distributed now to help with planning arrival times for

anyone out of the area planning to fly in.

Main items to be aware of is that runway 08/26 is closed all day.

Western end of 08/26 only available to light aircraft (in particular

taildrag) in strong cross wind, with pilot's responsibility to

maintain communications and maintain safe separation.

Runway 16/34 operational with closure to GA/light aircraft 1000-1050,

1210-1245, and 1420-1500 local time.

These closure times are to allow for Roulettes, r/c model aircraft and Skydive the Beach displays.

All arrivals by 0930 where possible, but no later than 0945 to avoid first

closure period. If arriving from further afield, please be aware of closure times and plan to avoid these.

PLease distribute this information to others planning to fly in.

Thanks for your consideration

Phil Ayrton

Secretary SAAA Chapter 4

=================================

The good news is that the ASIC lets you stay airside and get all those great up close photos that the multitudes behind the barriers only dream about.

My son and I had a great time there last year. It was a special memory holding while the Catalina made an emergency landing in front of me then asking Connie (the Super Constellation on base) if I had time to roll in front of her. I've never had such an audience for a take-off, because all eyes were glued on the Catalina after they announced the emergency, and then waiting for Connie to land. Impressed my son on his first flight with me.

Unfortunately, I'll be at Old Bar this weekend, so I'll miss it.

Regarding ASICs

As far as I can see YWOL, is not listed as a Security Controlled Airport on the the current List (Security Controlled Airports) and not listed in the current ERSA. http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/ersa/FAC_YWOL_20-Nov-2008.pdf

Normally is is listed in the Remarks if it is a Security Controlled Airport- for example check out Albury http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/ersa/FAC_YMAY_20-Nov-2008.pdf

I pretty sure there is no RPT using it at the moment

If you get arrested - dont blame me :)

Thats interesting. Before I made my post above (YWOL and ASICs) I double checked CASA and the Infrastructure websites - so I wouldnt be tooooo wrong.

Including this page Applying for an ASIC - Security Controlled Airports

So - although thread drift- Is there another reference?, as if you didnt read forums and you read the correct guides - you would rightly assume that you dont need one.

Unless you still need one to work there (as a airport requirement) but flying in and out is different

It's easier just to get one .......... and you feel so good about yourself afterwards too.

thats just the natural feeling you get when you write a cheque

Guest Brett Campany
I spoke with one of the pilots and his name was Ben, he had some interesting stories about his exploits flying the Seaking.Cheers T87

Yup, that's him, Leut Ben Crowther, I worked with him for a couple of years during my Navy days.

The gentleman in the middle of the pic using his mobile phone was the senior pilot [both pilots from memory were in their early 30's ].They also carried 300kg of spare parts and 3 or 4 mechanics in case of breakdown.They have a standing order to keep a lookout for cafes in case of an emergency landing so they can wait there while repairs are carried out. Cheers T87