Directional Gyro and Compass

Guest Kevin the Penniless

I have noticed that none of the recreational aircraft I have looked at have directional gyros. All my navigation as a private pilot was done using a DG and map. What do folks use, GPS and compass?

Compass, map and landmarks. Backed up by GPS if required.

Or....

Take off toward the sun. Over the lake. Right turn and follow Glenfield road. Over the river. past the parents old farm . Over to Aunty Joyces. Check the condition of Federation...just in case. Look around to see who you know that is harvesting. Talk to the inbound RPT and follow them into the airfield. Simple! ;)

Ahlocks, we're on the same page with your second method. Sort of thing I do when taking friends for a 'river flight' Mind you, I always have a map, just in case I have to inform someone where I've had to put down. Safe flying mate.

circuit tracking.

Sort of time the turn (in your head), then level the wings. If the compass settles down and gives you a steady reading, great!.. Look back anyhow to see how you are going and make any necessary adjustments. The slower aircraft can get large drift angles, so you need to ensure that you are tracking as you need to by having a good look where you want to go , actively.. Nev..

Map and Compass

I find a lot of the fun in flying is the navigation, using a map & compass (DG). A skill you have to refine especially when flapping about in unfamiliar territory. I will investigate a GPS because it's pretty neat to display your actual track on a map and compare it with your planned track.

Instruments.

Penniless, How can you attord a GPS with a name like that? The GPS WILLgive you the heading and will even remember your tracks around the circuit. I have spent over 30 years flying on instruments and enjoy flying without them. You would be surprised how little you NEED them. Sport flying is about looking outside the aeroplane, NOT inside, especially in the circuit, where there will be a large performance difference potentially with other aircraft. "When in Rome do as the Romans do" Nev.

I'm a VFR pilot only. I do like using the NDB and VOR. Map & compass is fun and I never neglect to keep a good lookout outside the cockpit, especially in the circuit. Once I purchase a plane 'Kevin the Penniless' will have true meaning.

I find a lot of the fun in flying is the navigation, using a map & compass (DG). A skill you have to refine especially when flapping about in unfamiliar territory. I will investigate a GPS because it's pretty neat to display your actual track on a map and compare it with your planned track.

G'day Kev,

You'll love having a GPS then. It's very satisfying to review your track after you've done a compass and map exercise and confirm you haven't strayed off track. Wobbled around a bit for sure, but you get that.

I'd have a D/G, 'proper' A/H and VOR equipment if I could justify the expense and fit them in the 'plane. But money, weight and "Do I really need them for my type of ops?" wins out.

For me, it remains that it's all about the view and being able to sharing it with others.

Regards,

Steven B.

P.S.

I can assure you that you will feel pennyless after you've bought your own 'plane... But it's worth it!!

For Doug:

I always have plenty of fuel, a map, ERSA and my nav gear onboard the aircraft. You just never know where you may endup. Things could change with little notice and I may end up having to go somewhere else whether I want to or not.

I miss the D.G. but find the compass is OK. I do use a basic GPS and also have an Icom hand held with VOR, which I seldom use.

One of those digital compass / DG instruments would be really good.

The solid state trutrak (sp?) A/I is pretty good in that it has a GPS track readout to use as a D/G. I just don't trust it. It's OK until when the PTT is pressed, it indicates a bank! Probably RF or a voltage problem, but I haven't chased the issue as I know it does it, so I don't rely on it.

Just to go off on a tangent, I was taught to fly circuits in reference to the airstrip as it makes the skill portable and you don't have to rely on instruments. Works for me so far. Still pretty cool to download the GPS tracks and see how consistent the circuits are.

Cheers!

...off to the airfield now for a blat.

Back again...Dunno how Binglesworth missed The Rock. It looked splendid from three thousand feet.

The inbound RPT driver was pleasant to talk to. The A/H is behaving properly...still don't trust it though.

The vertical card compass agreed with the GPS. All's good.