What's the worst weather you've been in?

Guest Brett Campany

Guest Brett Campany

Hey all, well had a lesson today, originally had 2 hours booked but by the time I got to Bunbury, the South Wester had already hit.

The intention was to do forced landings today but it was a full circuit first. On take off it was really lumpy and we were getting thrown around a fair bit. Downwind was fine, just really quick. The base turn and turn onto final was like going 4wding!

Short final, got the flaps all the way down and about 200 to 300ft we were thrown right off track, the left wing went right up and my very first instinct, even before I said it, was to throttle up and get out of there. Good decision!!

From there it was a short run south to do some forced landings which was touchy at first but eventually I got it right but it was still really lumpy.

I told my instructor that it was the worst weather I'd flown in to date in that aircraft, he also said the same thing.

Not all was a loss because I'm glad I was able to do this lesson in the weather at the time. If I can do it in this wind, I can just about do it at any time if required.

So with that, it brings me to ask what's the worst you've had to deal with?

I think this could be a very good post for any new beginner to read your experiences and to be able to recognise the signs before getting into trouble.

Any takers?

Cheers

Guest Brett Campany

Sure, it was a CZAW Sportcruiser and I had the booking at 1pm. Usually I go in the morning but the morning sessions were booked up.

Guest Maj Millard

Headed out cross-country once on a regular commute to work. The weather wasn't perfect, and I knew that I would have to navigate around possible small storms.

About a 1/4 of the way, I encountered a fast approaching storm, and a large wall of rain that I could not possibly fly through, or around.

Wisely I did an about turn, and noticed that the wind and groundspeed had increased considerably by about an additional 35-40 kts !. Back in my local area, I had the choice of about five landing sites at which to land, in the high winds. Some were just not an option. (I'm flying a heavily loaded Lightwing taildragger).

I chose an airport in flat country, with a long grass runway directly into wind.

As I came over the fence the seriousness of the wind-speed became noticable, and I knew this landing would be just a bit different. On about the fourth bounce/landing attempt I managed to somehow get the power off, and stick the aircraft on.

I tied it down well, spent the night in the aeroclub, and caught the bus to work next morning.

It's amazing what you can come up with when you have to !.............024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Brett Campany
Sounds a bit spooky Brett. It looks like a top plane you are flying. I wonder how it compares to a Jab. I see you can get it with a 3300 Jab, I wonder if its similar to a J230.I've been in 20kt cross wind on a grass strip, made for a fun landing.

I was lucky enough to fly Bunbury's Jab J230 and didn't mind it once in the air but on that day it was pretty calm and there wasn't a lot of wind or many thermals around so it faired up nicely. In calm conditions I do find the Sportcruiser much better because it requires less "manual flying" once it's trimmed up. But what I'll do once I get this all sorted out is I'll get endorsed on the Jab if they still have it and take it out for a couple of hours and give you a good comparison review.

Guest Brett Campany
Headed out cross-country once on a regular commute to work. The weather wasn't perfect, and I knew that I would have to navigate around possible small storms.About a 1/4 of the way, I encountered a fast approaching storm, and a large wall of rain that I could not possibly fly through, or around.

Wisely I did an about turn, and noticed that the wind and groundspeed had increased considerably by about an additional 35-40 kts !. Back in my local area, I had the choice of about five landing sites at which to land, in the high winds. Some were just not an option. (I'm flying a heavily loaded Lightwing taildragger).

I chose an airport in flat country, with a long grass runway directly into wind.

As I came over the fence the seriousness of the wind-speed became noticable, and I knew this landing would be just a bit different. On about the fourth bounce/landing attempt I managed to somehow get the power off, and stick the aircraft on.

I tied it down well, spent the night in the aeroclub, and caught the bus to work next morning.

It's amazing what you can come up with when you have to !.............024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

No doubt it comes with a lot of experience!

Guest Maj Millard

As far as experience goes R461, two sayings come to mind...........

'You're only as good as you'r last landing.'

and..' Flying...you do whatever you have to do, at the time'

(a favorite comment from the Late Bill Starke)

Guest Brett Campany
As far as experience goes R461, two sayings come to mind........... 'You're only as good as you'r last landing.'

and..' Flying...you do whatever you have to do, at the time'

(a favorite comment from the Late Bill Starke)

very true mate!

:thumb_up:

As good as...

As good as your LAST landing? I reckon you are as good as you are, (at the time). That means you are really as good as your next landing. Scary isn't it? Nev..

PS. the landing is not everything, but it's the bit that everyone notices.

also, experience is a great asset, unless you have only been repeating all the bad habits you started with...

Back to Topic.

I won't bore you with the examples, but the worst thing is to keep going when you are in a situation that you are not sure you have the skill and experience to cope with. Get out of there and maximise your options by planning something better. This is where the judgement comes in.

Good pilots are the ones who avoid unsafe situations. Bad ones trust too much to luck to get out of situations they should have avoided. Nev..

Worse conditions. I was returning from Rocky to Gladstone, 50 n.m. and under a load of thick rain clouds. I could get to within about 10 miles of Gladstone from 2 different directions but couldn,t get in because of rain and visibility problems. Went back to Rocky and refuelled and waited.I was told by an RPT that Gladstobe was clear, but there was still a sheet of cloud between Rocky and Gladstone. I took off and headed down the coast, above the clouds and keeping well to seawards to avoid high ground.

I saw a hole in the cloud and water below, so did a rapid descent and came out below the cloud at about 500' and in the Narows between Curtis Island and the mainland. So much for keeping out at sea I had drifted SE about 15 miles. Easy from there on as I followed the coast to home. Then forgot to cancel SAR until several hours later, phoned them up and they said the planes owner had confirmed that it was safely on the ground. Didn't even get my wrist slapped.

If I was flying a J120 with a passenger and had no other option but to fly directly through heavy rain, besides not being able to see, if I used my instruments I should be fine, its not like the plane is just going to fall out of the sky.

Has anyone been in this situation?

Brett, the cruiser has splitt flaps doesn't it??..

I wouldn't be coming in with full flap in those conditions..

At camden, with a strong westerly blowing it makes for some interesting turbulance on approach to 24.. Shoirt final see's you coming in over a hill.. If the windsock is straight out, then no flap at all, and come in fast.. same angle but more speed.. the normal appch speed is 70 kts, but on really really bad days, ive appch'd at 85-90, flapless.. cashe the speed in at coffee table height..

Ps, to answer your question, when ya can't make sence of the instruments because they are bouncing all over the place, can't tune the radio, can't read the map becasue it's magically stuck to the roof...thats when ya call it a day..lol;)

clint, good luck with that mate.. Try that and we'll be readin about you a few threads down..

Guest Brett Campany
Brett, the cruiser has splitt flaps doesn't it??..I wouldn't be coming in with full flap in those conditions..

At camden, with a strong westerly blowing it makes for some interesting turbulance on approach to 24.. Shoirt final see's you coming in over a hill.. If the windsock is straight out, then no flap at all, and come in fast.. same angle but more speed.. the normal appch speed is 70 kts, but on really really bad days, ive appch'd at 85-90, flapless.. cashe the speed in at coffee table height..

Ps, to answer your question, when ya can't make sence of the instruments because they are bouncing all over the place, can't tune the radio, can't read the map becasue it's magically stuck to the roof...thats when ya call it a day..lol;)

clint, good luck with that mate.. Try that and we'll be readin about you a few threads down..

Nah Merv, the Evektor Sportstar has a split flap, the Sportcruiser has the same flaps set up as a Cessna, rolls out of the wing. I've booked in for another flight tomorrow arvo at 1pm again but I'll call ahead and keep an eye on the wind to see how she fairs up again.

Mostly from the reports they decide to go a bit further to have a look, then a bit further, then oops, the ground's rising up towards the cloud, then oops it's closed in behind, then the spiral dive to the fatal dirt. Guys is it 180 secnds? (and that's with AH, VSI etc) and where could GFC find that information?