Isnt it great!!

Guest Vigilant

Guest micgrace

Hi

I'd be pulling on the airbrakes to destroy as much of lift as possible while simultaneously sticking the nose down very steep for max manouvering airspeed at the same time which is probably your only chance for getting away.

Or, failing that if actually in it, I'd yank back on that stick and stall it and resist the impulse to recover for a few thousand feet (which some gliders seem to take that long to recover) unless incipent spin starts, recover, then try first method.

I think if you went for Vne in such conditions all there would be little pieces drifting to the ground.

My 2cents worth, Micgrace smiley1.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only comment I would make here is,don't go anywhere near these systems, regardless of the type of aircraft you fly in! The vertical currents are able to support hailstones the size of golf balls (or larger at times) Thats how they form. The terminal velocity of a rough shaped hailstone that size would have to be in excess of 8000 feet/min so you need that vertical speed just to stop it descending and a large hailstone may have gone up & down several times during it's formation, so you can only guess at what the vertical currents might be. Other associated hazards are ,icing ,severe turbulence, lightning, heavy precipitation areas with associated strong downdrafts in lower levels ( downburst phenomenon) & hail which may occur 20 miles away out of what seems to be a blue sky, DON'T GO THERE! Knowledge of meteorology is available from many good sources. Don't get it the hard way. N... P.S. Be a live coward.

Hi All

My memory of the Pilot notes for a L-13 Blanik was a vertical speed down of 80 Knots in a spin. A knot is aproximately 100 feet per minute giving about 8,000 feet per minute.

So even spinnining it down may not be enough to escape the updraft - but is a much safer way than trying to do it by going to vne providing it does not end up in a spiral dive.

Spining in the cloud may be terminal in more ways than one because of the possible hugh variation in updraughts & downdraughts in close proximity with large lumps going in both directions at terminal velocities.

Regards

Remember the golden rule, Ross, stay 5 kms away from anything that looks like a cauliflower.

Thatincludes over-active Cu's, Thunderheads, footballer's ears or cauliflowerswith white sauce ................... and stay away from turnips as well.

Regards Geoff

PS Why aren't you outside in the cold wind building that 160?

Guest Fred Bear

Isn't this great...

IDN38503

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology

New South Wales

Significant Weather Media Release

Issued at 1523 on Tuesday the 14th of November 2006

Unseasonal cold snap for southeastern NSW

Wintery conditions are expected to return to southeastern New South Wales on

Wednesday and Thursday.

A significant outbreak of unseasonably cold air behind a front due to cross NSW

on Wednesday is likely to bring snow or sleet down to 1000 metres over the

southern alps and possibly up into the central NSW ranges.

Cold daytime temperatures on Wednesday in southern areas will spread to

northwards over NSW on Thursday, with temperatures well down on the average.

A Sheep Graziers Warning has been issued for the Central Tablelands, Southern

Tablelands and South West Slopes forecast districts for cold, wet and windy

conditions developing on Wednesday.

Frosty conditions will follow over the southern and central tablelands and

western slopes overnight Wednesday and Thursday.

Some previous cold outbreaks affecting NSW in November were:

* 22 November 1996: Mainly affected Southern and Central Tablelands. Snow

was reported at Cooma, Goulburn, Orange and Katoomba. Goulburn's maximum

temperature of 9.1°C was the lowest on record for November.

* 16 November 1988: Mainly affected Metropolitan , Hunter and Central

Tablelands. Snow observed at Oberon. Orange maximum temperature [6.0°C] and

Sydney [12.6°C] were the lowest on record for November.

* 19 November 1986: Affected the whole State but especially the northern

half. Snow was reported at Katoomba. A record low maximum temperature was

observed at Armidale [8.3°C]. Record low maxima were also recorded at Cobar,

Dubbo, Narrabri, Newcastle and Tamworth.

* The heaviest November snowfall on record in the Snowy Mountains was around

40cm on 17-18 Nov 1957.

Further information: Contact Rob Webb - 9296 1555

http://www.bom.gov.au/announcements/media_releases/nsw/index.shtml

Note: This product provides supplementary information about a current or recent

significant weather event. It is not a forecast or a warning.</pre>

Hi Geoff

Actually there is virtually a gale here at the moment with rain in it here and there and I am rugged up in winter clothes.

I am a bit crook at the moment and chamfing at the bit to get back to the J160. Although I have managed to replace& get spares for the bad lights in the house & the carport garage this morning - just remembered I foregot the trouble lamp which is also blown.

I think that the mobile phone interface I set up for the plane with the unpowered interface is virtually useless as I can hardly hear it(no engine running)and my wife could not hear anything when I rang her so I will have to go for oneof the powered versions - another $100 down the drain!

Also this morning I have installed IE7.0 together with the other updates about 27 MBytes. It took me a while to find the favourites! It also explains why the new site headers postings have looked so different.

The gale has now gone and the sky has puffy small Cus to the west but to the east it looks very interesting and ominous. Good to watch it from the ground.

I just looked at Wagga radar to see that it was showing a bit from Tuesday and the current echoes of rapidly moving light rain. Looks like it has just come back on line.

Regards Ross

When you look east Ross, and you see those big storm clouds moving thru today, that's where I am. It's hailing and blowing an absolute gale here at times, and I'm on the top of Kapooka hill which doesn't help. Even with the aircraft in the shed & the doors closed, it moved around when 1 huge gust came through.

As the old saying goes ... it's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Have a great time at the Red Bull event Chris. Wish we were there.

Regards Geoff Captain

Maybe it's ................. Global Cooling.

Perhaps El(vira) Nino and La(rry) Nina have got their dance steps all messed up.

Butas evidenced fromDarren's posts above, this type of cold snap happens regularly ................... although the sheep are looking pretty chilly. Captain

Hi Geoff

Starting to calm down here - wind probably 30 knots at 50 feet - rain a miserable 3 mm 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif in the gauge probably twice that at least but totally ineffective because of the wind. My wife said she just finished her golf and got inside the club house when the rain and wind came roaring in!

We seem to be right on the edge of the system according to the radar which has become very erratic under IE7.0 but that just might be the traffic or the weather or Microsoft. It seems to only let me have one copy of IE7.0 open at a time making it painful for a number of jobs - it changes fonts erratically and leaves out half the menu items etc etc. All this after IE7.0 upgrade today.

Peter from Goolwa just told me it was blowing 30 knots in Goolwa delaying his flying of his new aeroplane home from Melbourne environs. :confused:

Hiperlight it's a wonder the wind did not blow your trees over. :)

Regards

Hi Hiperlight

You don't have to worry - they always come home.

But Vic Wallet a former well known shearing contractor from Yanco who used to shear my Dad's sheep when I was akid reckoned that it was a bit rough on the dogs when it blew so hard that their hair came out! I wish I could remember his jokes. Hetold themwith the dryest ofvoices and the staightest of faces. His son Allen Wallet, an experiencedshearer,is one of the Radio announcerson 2RG in Griffith. Allen's jokes about the land and its characters take after his Dad a bit but not quite in the same class. One of his specialities was replaying all the old 60's songs on morning radio - I think management has had a few words with him lately.

Regards

Hi Hiperlight

I had a Dog at Narromine that was terrified of the noise that I made blowing out trees. He got to know exactly when to expect the bulling charge and the the main charge to go off. He would hide in a safe place.

I would light the fuse and turn around to see him sitting quivering on top of the box of gelignite on the back of the carryall on the tractor!

Regards

Guest Vigilant
006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif 006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Blame Kochie & Mel from Sunrise, maybe their "Cool the Globe" campaign is working just a little too well. I think the weather in Tassie is better than yours today (but not much)

Hey Vigi

Isn't it great that your "Isn't it Great" topic is now a stand alone Forum out from under General Discussion.

You dun good.

All the best from the North Island.

Geoff

PS Have you flown an ultralight acrossBass Straight? If so what was it like, how long did it take, what's the best route, and was it Great? Captain

Earlier in this thread we all got worked up about "Global Warming".

See the link below to some arguments with the title "Climate caos? Don't believe it"

I reckon it is worth a read .... although maybe because it says what I want to hear (at least re climate, not re the conspiracy theory).

It's not "Great" but it's "good", however itIS also the "Telegraph".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=DMEYMQRO0RA31QFIQMGCFFWAVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2006/11/05/nosplit/nwarm05.xml

i myself dont subscribe to the global warming scare stories, aparently (i found a site a while back) that the average global temp is almost identical to the graph of the surface temps of the sun over the same period. and the recent "spike" in temps is matched by a spike in the surface temp of the sun..

not only that, the earth has been here for Billions of years, and we only have historical accurate reading going back 100 yrs or so.... but what about ice cores etc, well they are going back 100,000 yrs or so, still a small percentage of the Billions of years weather has been active on earth...

the story just a few days ago about injecting particals into the atmosphere to reduce the amount of light getting through the atmosphere for a few months, worries my quite a bit. this is DIRECT tampering with the climate with unknown consequences. i think its scary.

dont forget the other responses to the increased greenhouse gasses, trees and vegetation are now growing at a rate faster than ever, more food for trees = more growth.

another thing regarding the drough in OZ, the Southern states have had 300mm less rain this year, but the northern states have had a 300mm Increase in rainfall, so the rain is still falling, just in a different area.

oh, and a funny thing i noticed in OZ, we have Rice farms in western NSW, wouldnt Rice grow better in the wetter Northern regions? and the dry crops such as wheat be grown in the lower dryer half?

Groundbreaking research continues to uncover fundamental truths about climate that have yet to be incorporated into climate models and predictions.

Is that so! I continue to notice in many articles, about climate change, a distinct lack of proof, or reasoned research. Emotive and perhaps pompous expressions, such as "Groundbreaking research," don't cut the mustard. A wise man once told me, when speaking on the hole in the ozone layer, "How do they know there has never been a hole before?"

With the many voices, "out there," including Al Gore, then mixed messages will continue to be "landed" upon us. I think I shall go flying now!