Isnt it great!!

Guest Vigilant

Ross

I'll go and take a couple of shots now behind the panel and put them in the other section ..... but I warn you ... it ain't pretty (yet).

I have in mind to put some of that spiral wrap stuff on the engine mount below each cable tie .... but has anyone got better ideas or more experience?

Geoff Captain

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep - the Holden Blimp did two laps over Narrandera township and then departed for what looked like Wagga.

It looked like it was on about a thirty metre ocean swell. It went up, it went down! I felt sick just watching it. :confused:

No sign of the blimp over here yet, but the Cu's have really been poppinghere since noon.

Isn't it great ... (for those of us also into Soaring).

The blimp might be thermalling at 11000 ft by now. Captain

Hi Don

What did they do for crew and how many were needed etcetera etcetera and how do they handle it? When I saw it from afair distance in Concord (Sydney) a few months ago it seemed to have a couple of ropes hanging from it.

Can you tell us about it?

Regards Ross

Guest palexxxx

I saw the blimp on the first Monday in October over Goornong heading towards Elmore. I thought it was heading to Elmore for the field-days which were starting the next day (for the Holdenstand). Turns out it was heading north for the Bathurst 1000 which was on the next weekend.

Peter.

Hi Ross they have about 2 trucks and I think 4 ute's heaps of people to grab ropes and set up the tie down post although i can't quite understand why the refuel with jerry cans surly a larger tank on the back of one of the ut's with a filtered pump would be a better idea.

Don

The blimp require 18 people for ground handling! When it departs somewhere all the ground handlers gather the gear up and drive to the next destination, get set upand wait for the blimp. It's that slow, all the helium has to be filtered every day or so to retain the performance. I've heard it cost 6 million to bring it out here for 6 months.

Guest Vigilant
006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif 006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif Like I said, anything and every thing - for me yesterday a isn't it great I finally cleaned out the garage yesterday and can now find tools (and the back of the shed :confused: )

Isn't it great .............. when you get a courtesy call from your bank as I did today ..................... but whenthe phone rang there was nobody on the line for 5 - 10 seconds, then overly loud music started to play, then some bunny at a call centre came on the line with their Courtesy Call speil.

Whenasked them about the silence on the line & then the overly loud music they said that this was the way their computer handles their outgoing calls to their customers.

There'll be some clown sitting at his desk somewhere in the NAB congratulating himself on what a great Courtesy Call system they have and there'll be some idiot boss or Board Member at the NAB thinking that they run a good customer relations operation.

There is going to be a big adverse reaction by Skippys to this impersonal bullsh*t and Indian call-centre calls if someone can work out how to do it economically the friendly & personal way.

I feel better now, again. Isn't it great?

I think he had been eating plums off the lawn under the plum tree. The bugger bit me just after I took that photo more a surprise than any damage. The brother-in-laws dog also decided he liked the plums and I have seen him eat about 22 in one sitting as it were. He is still alive. We don't get as many friendly frill neck or bogeye lizards around since that dog has been visiting. Our fallen fruit has to be put in black tied poly bags, left in the sun for a day and then it can be put inthe garbage. The black poly in the sun kills any possible fruit fly before disposal. That tree is coming out this year to save a constant job and the risk of heavy fines. It is already dropping fruit.

When it comes out that will be really great.

regards Ross

Guest Fred Bear

Ha ha ha Chris. That's a good one. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif I used to love reading some of the instructions on Chinese fireworks too. Ross, you should start making some home brew with all that fruit. Now there's an idea! ;)

Most of the energy in weather systems is caused by the latent heat involved with the change of state of water, from liquid to vapour. The enormous energy of cyclones, (hurricanes in the USA) is derived from this source.They are active in the tropics where warm water in the oceans provides the source.The heat released when the rising vapour condenses causes massive vertical currents sucking more moisture laden air into the system Some sources equate the energy in these systems to be equal to letting numerous nuclear bombs off in one hour. If the temperature of the sea rises a few degrees the effect on the whole process is amplified Under these conditions it would be expected that the intensity would be greater than it currently is in the tropics and the phenomenon would extend further into temperate lattitudes than it does now. Regarding the melting of ice & sea levels, the floating ice if melted, will not change the level of the sea , only the land based ice will alter the level of the sea, so it should not be difficult to calculate that. This is too big a topic to run here, but you've all got a ringside seat..N.....

Hi facthunter

Glider pilots learn not to get very close to the bottom of strong cumulus clouds because of that energy release as the water vapour in the air condenses into water droplets as a visible cloud. So a pilot might be experiencing anything from 100 ft/min to 800 ft/min as an average but get close to the bottom of a strong Cumulus and the lift could be so great that you would have to exceed VNE to get out the bottom and be torn apart illegally if he stayed in it.

And the Cumulus bases are umbrella shaped so that before you know it you have a wall of cloud in all directions except down where the aeroplane will not go without exceeding VNE.

See what theVSI on your aeroplane says with the engine idling and the airspeed at max rough.

I have experiened one flight in an old Kookaburra under some impressive looking Cumulus (probably a standing wave over a small ridge)where the coarse vario was showing up against the stopat +2,000 feet/min. I ended up at about 10,000 ftAMSLin about 3.5 minutes from a starting height of about900 to 1,100 ft off the winch (and I did not go into the higher lift under the cloud- thar be dragons).

The really interesting aspect of these particular clouds on that particular day was that there was a lenticular cloud lined up with it on the upwind side well up the side of the cumulus cloud. But I was in the wrong kind of glider to do anything about it. The Kookaburra flew like a hot brick with a best glide angle of about1/25. So there was little height to be gained by converting speed into height.

Regards Ross

If Vne is too low to escape from under a cloud I have heard it suggested that the best way down would be to spin out. Airspeed would be low and vertical velocity high. I don't think I would like to try it. Anyone got any thoughts on the subject?

Ian.

Never mind, despite your best efforts you might be lucky enough to spin anyway. Then if you survive, you can tell your audience in the clubhouse that it was as deliberate spin for survival.

The experts may be able to help here, but I think VNE in a steep dive might give you a much higher descent rate than a spin.

Bruce hiperlight