How many hours out of your 2 stroke??

seb7701

Wouldn't worry about the 503's head temp being 300. The 582 will never get anywhere near it, (unless you run it without water).and you will not get extra wear occurring at 300 because of the temp. About 5 mins at a normal taxi power setting should be enough to get temps stabilised. The air-cooled motor usually warms quicker, but getting the heat even, is more the aim than a particular head temp reading. Nev

The 2 stroke operators where I fly from usually warm up their engines with a short run after starting, then let it sit idle for a fe minutes to let the whole engine warm up evenly, After that they fire up and go flying. It seems to work ok.

excuse my ignorance, im a 4 stroker, am looking into buying a 2 stroke machine..If used in a school, the TBO is 300 hrs, is there an on condition arrangment for the 582's??...if not, how did farri manage to get the hours he states out of a 2 stroke in a school??

:thumb_up:

Motz,Good luck getting insurance on 2 stroes in a school environment- it's why the Fisher 4 stroke drifter (super Drifter) will be the go.

Motz,Good luck getting insurance on 2 stroes in a school environment- it's why the Fisher 4 stroke drifter (super Drifter) will be the go.

That is true mate, but Greg Neale had his drifter with comp insurance. It was 3.5 percent on insurable amount( thats what he told me a while ago). He has over 3500 hours instructing in them may have been the key. But generaly I think your right.

Before Greg sold up he told me he didn't think they would be able to get it renewed- we had no luck with the trikes. It is a shame as they are much better these days than 20 yrs ago. Trouble is the underwriters have long memories and even longer Terms and conditions!!!

Makes it difficult to run a business.

• 2 weeks later...

Our club had a policy of exchanging our 582 at 500 hours (before the 300 TBO intro).

Most were changed still running, but we did get the odd one that died before 500...

We then went to 912's because of the following comparisons;

582:- $5000 replacement, 300 TBO, 17Lts per hour training (Lightwing).

912:-$17000 replacement, now 2000 TBO at 14Lts per hour.

The net result is that in 2000 hours of operation, you will buy 6x 582's ($30K) and use more fuel and oil or just one 912.

(These are quick rough figures..)

Arthur.

Our club had a policy of exchanging our 582 at 500 hours (before the 300 TBO intro).Most were changed still running, but we did get the odd one that died before 500...

We then went to 912's because of the following comparisons;

582:- $5000 replacement, 300 TBO, 17Lts per hour training (Lightwing).

912:-$17000 replacement, now 2000 TBO at 14Lts per hour.

The net result is that in 2000 hours of operation, you will buy 6x 582's ($30K) and use more fuel and oil or just one 912.

(These are quick rough figures..)

Arthur.

The number don't lie- hence the death of the two stroke for commercial ops!

• 2 months later...

In general it sounds like the 582 is a great little engine for private use where it will give great service if treated correctly.

I intend putting in an order for a new 582, probably tomorrow so this thread has given me a lot of confidence. I reckon I'll be lucky to average 50 hours per year so a 582 is going to give me a lot of years service.

For the record, Gary at Bert Floods has quoted me $6,375 plus GST for a new 582 inclusive of carbs (not sure about air filters), fuel pump, pull start and complete exhaust system. I'll be re-using a 2 piece radiator, reduction box and electric start.

Pud

My first blue-top 582 went 762 hours and was still running when it was sent away for a rebuild.

My first Jabiru 2.2l engine made 675 hours before it failed. Just for comparison.

Unlike motor vehicle engines, aircraft engines are consumable items. They run, then they break or wear out or run out of hours. You re-build or replace them and start the logbook from zero hours again. It's all part of the never-ending cycle of aircraft-engine life.

In general it sounds like the 582 is a great little engine for private use where it will give great service if treated correctly.I intend putting in an order for a new 582, probably tomorrow so this thread has given me a lot of confidence. I reckon I'll be lucky to average 50 hours per year so a 582 is going to give me a lot of years service.

For the record, Gary at Bert Floods has quoted me $6,375 plus GST for a new 582 inclusive of carbs (not sure about air filters), fuel pump, pull start and complete exhaust system. I'll be re-using a 2 piece radiator, reduction box and electric start.

Pud

Well the challenges never cease it seems.

Susan from Bert Flood notified me today that the engine is on it's way, so all is good there:big_grin:

Seeing as how I am reusing the existing starter, I thought I would get it checked out, took it to the local auto electrician shop, and he informs me that the armature is shorting out - probably accounts for the weak turn over of the engine I put down to a low battery. Apparently armatures are not available for this starter.

So does anybody have a reasonable 2nd hand starter for sale, don't need the whole kit and caboodle, just an armature would be good. I don't really feel like shelling out $1034 inc GST plus freight for a new starter kit from Bert Floods unless I have to.

I posted this in the Thruster section also

Pud