military headset

geoffreywh

Hi, I just bought a David Clark H10-76XL headset, I know the mike will need changing for GA aircraft, the headset lead also ends in a U-174/U (helicopter or US military) plug. BUT, rather than extend the lead with an adapter, I would prefer to change the plug on my dash. From two jack plug receptors to a single (4 contact ) helicopter one. I can get the socket easily. Plus I have a diagram of which wire goes where on the helicopter plug.. BUT, How do I identify which wire is which from the (single ) cable.....Or I could change the whole lead to a GA ( I have an old donor headset ) Again I would need some wiring explanation, Can anybody help?........Geoff

Guest Maj Millard

I have some DC wiring diagrams some where I could dig them up and fax them to you. Or try the DC web site...........or... buy a nice new set from forum pilot shop.

Hmmm. Sorry, Love to help BUT but the headset (David Clark H10-76XL) was $US230. new! (converts to $1876.22 ?) So I just can't help, however much I like to buy in Australia. I did just open the box and find a diagram! all I need to know now is:- how do I tell which wire is mic. hi and mic. low, phone hi and phone low? maybe I should ask Microair (see... I do buy Australian when it's economically viable) Geoff....

Solved...

No, the website doesn't say which is mike HI and mike LOW ect. But seeing as there are only two wires to get mixed up ( I already know from the old twin plug set-up which are mike and which are headphone) I can only get each pair wrong once! I seem to have answered my own question .......................So Thanks again ....G

Guest pelorus32
Hi, I just bought a David Clark H10-76XL headset, I know the mike will need changing for GA aircraft, the headset lead also ends in a U-174/U (helicopter or US military) plug. BUT, rather than extend the lead with an adapter, I would prefer to change the plug on my dash. From two jack plug receptors to a single (4 contact ) helicopter one. I can get the socket easily. Plus I have a diagram of which wire goes where on the helicopter plug.. BUT, How do I identify which wire is which from the (single ) cable.....Or I could change the whole lead to a GA ( I have an old donor headset ) Again I would need some wiring explanation, Can anybody help?........Geoff

G'day Geoff,

I have two DC helicopter headsets and I use the adaptor on them. It works really well and I never notice the extra length in a negative sense. Is there a particular reason you don't want to use the adaptors? It actually makes them very adaptable ;-) if you want to jump in a fling wing - just unplug the adaptor.

Regards

Mike

The length of cable that I actually need is about 2 feet, so any excess hangs down beside me. There is already a 3ft. coiled cable, battery box then another coiled cable, it's all getting a bit much. I soo dislike extra connections and I'll go a long way to eliminated any, Funnily enough I was at Moorabbin yesterday I went to a radio / avionics repair place and, yes,in a dusty old box they had the socket I needed (NATO jack) But no, the woman would not sell it to me as she didn't know how much it was worth!!!! I offered lots of bucks but no, wouldn't go with it. I said well send me a bill. To no avail, in the end I told her she might want to put it in that dusty old box she has....For future reference so to speak. Buy Australian? If you can!

Nobody has mentioned the fact that the H10-76 headset is a lo impedance set. It is used in our Companies S76 helicopter and the BK117. If you try to use it in a Hi impedance system it might not work, or it will interfere with the other headsets that are plugged in. If you wish to convert it you will need to change both the mic and the earpeice speakers. These parts are avialable from AVIALL or EDMO. Also the lead you need is about $50 bucks from EDMO. Hope this helps

Nobody has mentioned the fact that the H10-76 headset is a lo impedance set. It is used in our Companies S76 helicopter and the BK117. If you try to use it in a Hi impedance system it might not work, or it will interfere with the other headsets that are plugged in. If you wish to convert it you will need to change both the mic and the earpeice speakers. These parts are avialable from AVIALL or EDMO. Also the lead you need is about $50 bucks from EDMO. Hope this helps

Note that EDMO doesn't deal direct as they are an importer/distributor so you will need to go through an outlet like Clear Prop

Found it...

it's OK I know about the low impedence thing, I have a donor headset, an old H10-80 4 kilo jobbie. I used the mike and earphones from them. I HAVE found a female U/174 socket. No less than 40 something dollars!.. EDMO were very knowledgeable,helpful and tried hard but had no stock....The whole point was to keep all the leads as simple and as short as possible.The cost wasn't a major factor. Found a wholesaler that would only sell me four ($100!) I should have just made one. Would have been quicker (and better!) ...